L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

CPU usage not over 25%?

Got a problem or need advice?

CPU usage not over 25%?

Postby Maegfaer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:56 am

I already checked the CPU throttle (it is at 100) and made sure that multithreading is turned on. No other big processes are active, my CPU usage is about 29%, of which 25% is used by L3DT. Sometimes it gets to 26 or 27 for one second, then back to 25%. I'd really like L3DT to use all of my CPU capacity that is available. I have a i5 2500K CPU, OC'ed at 4.4ghz. At CPU Throttle it says "Period 1 cycles", while in the example picture of the wiki here it says 10. Is that the problem? How can I make L3DT use more than 25% of my CPU?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Some extra info, I'm generating just a heightmap from a design map, and I have 8gb of RAM of which plenty is still available.

EDIT2: I'm guessing the issue here is that I have a quad core CPU and these calculations aren't done with multiple cores... Pity.
Maegfaer

Re: CPU usage not over 25%?

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:03 am

Hi Maegfaer,

Only the most CPU-intensive calculations have been multithreaded at this point in time, including texture generation, light map generation, and normal map generation. That list does not include heightfield nor design map generation, as these calculations are comparatively fast. More multithreading is on the to-do list.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support