L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Attributes map export for engine

Got a problem or need advice?

Attributes map export for engine

Postby Daniel E » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:15 am

Hey, I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I haven't found anything that meets my specific needs.

I basically need the following relation:

Color in attributes map --> file name of associated diffuse and bump map.

I've tried getting them by parsing the climate and material xml files but it doesnt seem like a good approach.

Is there any simple way to get the relation? Any help would be highly appreciated.
Daniel E

Re: Attributes map export for engine

Postby Aaron » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi Daniel,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. There's currently no neat single way to get the information you desire. The nearest we have are:
  • The attributes map PNG exporter, which writes a palette text file that lists the colour of each land type in the map, and;
  • The 'Operations->Attributes map->Export type list' menu option, which exports a list of textures (but not bump maps) for each land type in the map.
I'll put it on the dev plan to upgrade the type list exporter to include land type colour and bump map, and post back here when it's done.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Attributes map export for engine

Postby Daniel E » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Hey Aaron,

Thanks a ton! That's really useful because I'm using index maps similar to the attributes maps to index into a texture atlas.

My current workaround was to create the alpha maps and reconstruct the index maps from them, but your suggestions are much better.

Here are some unoptimzed results (haven't fixed the seams in my normal maps yet):

I'm very pleased :)

Thanks again,

Daniel
Daniel E

Return to Help and support