L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Manual edit before saving

Got a problem or need advice?

Manual edit before saving

Postby SomeITGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:06 am

I want to make a battlefeild 2 map. I read the great tutorial over at the bf2 editor site on how to generate a map in L3DT and save it as a .raw file. Then move it into the bf2editor and go from there. Is it possible in L3DT to generate a map then manualy make changes to the map and then save it as a raw file so it can be used in the bf2 editor?
Thank you.
SomeITGuy

Re: Manual edit before saving

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:19 am

Hi SomeITGuy,

Yes to all. Please see:
Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby SomeITGuy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:19 am

Thank you this was helpful.
SomeITGuy

Postby Memphis291 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Hey guys,

I´d like to know how to save changes in 3D Editor. Every changes I made in 3D editor were not saved once I regenerated the height map. The wiki are not really explaining the saving process..
I am owner of the pro version if this is an important option to save in 3D editor.

I am very thankful for every help

greets Memphis
Memphis291

Postby Aaron » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:30 am

Hi Memphis291,

This isn't really a problem of the editor not saving. The 3D editor applies all changes directly to the map project, so all changes are automatically saved.

Every changes I made in 3D editor were not saved once I regenerated the height map.

The process of 'regenerating the heightmap' deletes the current heightmap and generates it again from the design map. Since the heightmap is deleted, so too are any changes you had made to the heightmap in the editor or by any other means (scripts, graphs, heightfield operations in the menu, etc.)

Clearly you expected otherwise, but I'm not quite sure I understand your workflow. Can you explain further what you're trying to do?

For reference, the general heightmap generation workflow that L3DT is designed for* goes like this:
  1. Create the design map, either blank or using built-in parametric design map generator.
  2. Edit the design map using the design map brush tool.
  3. Generate the heightfield (or preview, if you intend to continue editing the DM.)
  4. If major (large area) changes are required, go back to step 2.
  5. If minor (small area) changes are required, use the heightfield tools in the 3D editor.
  6. If you got here, you've finished changing the heightmap, so continue to generate the water map, attributes map, etc.
This is the workflow used in the fjord, ski run, and roads tutorials.

Best regards,
Aaron.

* Apologies for split infinitive. Sentence was clumsy otherwise.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Memphis291 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:54 am

Aaron wrote:Can you explain further what you're trying to do?

sure, I can do.

so this is what I mean,

Aaron wrote:[*]If minor (small area) changes are required, use the heightfield tools in the 3D editor.

by changing the heightfield in the 3D editor...how can I save these changes? Once I used the editor tools, I need to close the editor again in order to regenerate the heightfield. By doing so, everythings I made in the 3D editor went lost.

So my question is, once I am in the editor...what do I have to do to save my changes to the heightfield?

regards

Memphis
Memphis291

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi Memphis,

Okay, I think I see where the confusion has arisen. As I said above, the changes are automatically saved. However, the main window is supposed to refresh after you've closed the 3D view to show the changes you've made, but this automatic refresh was apparently broken by some tangentially related modifications I made some years ago, and nobody seemed to have noticed until now. I have fixed this for the latest developmental build (v12.06 build 0, which is on the Pro downloads page now; consult your sales/reg e-mail for the link.)

Alternatively, in the version you have, you can simply select the 'View->Refresh' item in the main menu after you close the 3D window. This will redraw the heightfield in the 2D view, and show you your changes.

So, in conclusion, you don't need to save your changes in the 3D view, it's done automatically. To see the changes, you need to refresh the main window after you close the editor, or else download the latest build, which automatically refreshes for you. And finally, don't re-generate the heightfield unless you actually want to discard your changes (that's what it's meant to do.)

Thank your for this bug report. Please let me know if problems persist.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Memphis291 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Aaron....you´re awesome...thanks a lot. That´s what I call support and I am glad to pay for. You rock!
Memphis291

Return to Help and support