L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

import Heightfield map 2 overlay manager problem

Got a problem or need advice?

import Heightfield map 2 overlay manager problem

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:41 pm

Hay Aaron,

I was wondering what the constraints are for importing Height fields into the overlay manager? the reason I ask is I am not sure exactly what kind of files will work, how to make them so they are compatible, as the HHT maps I am trying to get in seem to cause me no end of errors when I try and use them. Even the ones I have created in L3DT. So I figure this is me and not your software at this time. Have you done any tuts on that? I did not see any. Course that could be I didn't look good enough either hahahahaha.

When I bring in a over lay map and try and use it in the design map editor and then try and generate a hht map, it all falls apart. ooh and how did you make that text? I tried something like that as a ping? and it didn't like that at all either hahahaha ROTFL.

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby SeerBlue » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:36 pm

hey dt, are you trying to drape an image file,as in a jpg, bmp,png, or are you trying to drape an actual heightfield, which is kind of how your posts reads.
I just tried the overlay in the build from 2 weeks ago, and it works for me, but I am draping an IMAGE file in the overlay, as that is how that works.
see link Image

That is a 2500 pixel image over a blank design map, and I have had 6k images open in the overlay.
Ignore me if I misread your post, very little sleep, too much caffiene. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:20 pm

Hay Seerblue brother,

Yes I was trying to import more height field files like the Mt Saint Helens height field Aaron has in the overlay map gui, and in the editor. I imported them ok, but if I try and use them, I get hella lot of errors. After the atomizer is back up I will post some screens to help maybe. I actually haven't tried to import pings yet, as I had wanted to bring in actual dim data and not stuff I had already made. That make since?

I have some height fields of Klamath and other places I wanted to mess with. And didn't want to import them in as a main map persay, but wanted to add a bit here another height field there of something else, that sort of thing. But at this point I am not sure if I have the right kind of height field to import in is why I was asking since I was not sure if it is a bug or more likely me :oops: :oops: haha. Thanks for asking though.

Maybe make pings like you are? just basic pings? is interlaced ok? I could I guess make the pings in Terragen and import them in that way? Seems a shame though, and kinda defeats what I was trying to do.

OOh wait I just uploaded the newest build for me yesterday, maybe I was working on a older version that was buggy of a few weeks ago, I will try that again then maybe and see if I get the same errors, if I do I will take screens and place em in the bug DPT, hahaha Aaron curls his toes at the thought ROTFL. Thanks for the heads up with pngs though as it could be a work around if I need to. You the man.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:33 pm

Hello,

Thanks SeerBlue. I think DeathTwister was referring to the terrain overlay feature, which is different to the image drape feature. I've used ambiguous names in the past (and probably still do), so I completely understand the confusion.

DeathTwister wrote:Have you done any tuts on that? I did not see any.

The tutorial on the terrain overlay is, strangely enough, in the users' wiki at:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php? ... ileoverlay

DeathTwister wrote:ooh and how did you make that text? I tried something like that as a ping?

Nothing so fancy. That was a black and white bitmap from paint.exe. Nothing but the best!

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:09 pm

Hahahaha,

Oh good to know I will go do that one right now after coffee. Woot thanks Aaron. On the Tut that is /winks.

Aaron Wrote:
Nothing so fancy. That was a black and white bitmap from paint.exe. Nothing but the best!

Hahahaha well when I tried it I had errors. That was why I was wondering if bieng interlaced or not had anything to do with it, but it sounds like I was working with a buggy copy and have installed new version, but haven't had the time to work with it yet. Maybe things work better now and later if I get thew time today I will do some experimenting on it some. dang I need coffee, just got up, can barely see the keyboards, KK talk later ROTFL.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi DeathTwister,

Could you please list the error messages, post some screenshots or otherwise describe what is going awry? 'twould be appreciated.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:04 pm

Hay Aaron,

Yes I will as soon as my Atomizer goes back online so I can set my Images data base back up, I guess I could just email you with it if we don't have it back by tomorrow and sorry I haven't so far, but I was trying to wait till theatomizer is back was all. I'll send you something of the error later today when I get to working on L3DT, That is my treat for all the fracking work I am doing today. /smiles. Maybe we will be back and live by then as well and I won't have to do a special email and just post it. I work in your software like some people play video games, as I would rather play L3DT then WoW or generals or any other video games I can think of right now, Ya I know I must be one sick puppy for liking your software like people like games. Dumb artist that I am hahahaha, lololololol, ROTFL

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:45 pm

Hi DT,

You can post the error screenshots in the users gallery if you like.

Also, if possible, could you post here or e-mail me the contents of the 'log.txt' file in the L3DT directory? (it should be at 'C:\Program Files\Bundysoft\L3DT Professional 2.4.1.12\log.txt') This might help me debug the problem.

Cheers,
Aaron.

PS: I'm glad you find L3DT so bearable to use. If I had to nominate my favourite program, I think it would be Microsoft Visual C++. Surely that makes me a sick puppy too.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:11 pm

Hay Aaron,

Sure, but we are almost back up (theatomizer) with my Posting area where I put stuff for the Internet, later today. I found a bigger bug for me though at least it is for my 64 bit comp that wasn't there before with the newest build I Just downloaded 2 days ago. I am busy for the next 4-5 hours then I will post and send you email on all your requests.

In the new build The Heightfields map is not an issue and it does look like it is just not liking my Heightfield is all now, so I need to do that Tut instead of dropping in willy nilly Heightfields before I know they are compatible I guess. Dumb artists /wry smiles.........

The new bug won't let me get past the new attributes GUI when using the generator. Even your setting are buggy along with the default setting, has all kinds of errors. I flat out can't get past that point in the new build.

But before I post, I am going to install the new build on my 32 bit machine and do the same experiment to see if it is a 64 bit issue or a 32 bit issue. Just checking my facts before I post is all. But a busy day so I can't finish it up until later. But have lots of screen shots and maybe one or 2 more, then I post, and send you the files as well in a email. So far other then the viewer I have not had any problems with L3DT on the 64 bit comp.

DT :twisted: :roll:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:15 pm

DOH,

I just saw there is a new build with 14 I think I had 13 so am downloading new build and try this all over, then I will post and send in my report to ya Aaron by tomorrow morning at the latest. HAhahahaha back to the drawing board for me hahahahahaha.......

DT :idea:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:45 am

Hi DT,

It shouldn't matter which version you have. I've not changed the implementation of the file overlay since it was first introduced.

Cheers,
Aaron.

Edit: Could you also post here (or by e-mail to me) the contents of the log.txt file? That'd be grand.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:53 pm

Hay Aaron,

Sorry for not getting back to ya before now but been uploading files on Dialup Speed and had it maxed out to get the files up quicker. That meant not using Internet all day yesterday :cry: OK, while we have the atomizer back up, we still do not have all our data bases back together and switched out to MySQL yet, so I am not sure the files will show up here yet, but going to try. If it don't work yet I will email mthem to you.

The Last build 14 that I downloaded and installed Friday is I think a very big bug, will check for update, but when I tried to generate a heith map on either the 32 bit or 64 bit it Crashed heavy and wanted me to send a report to Microsoft. It looked to me when it was generating the overlay map is when it went belly up. I was using Just your Mt. Saint Helens map when that occurred.

I am not sure if the bug from the build before on the Attributes map generation is still a bug or not for me since I can't get that far in the new build, or build 14 taking the last 2 digits from the build.

Here is I hope screens for both of those and the old error screen for when I tried to use one of my heith field maps, which I am thinking most likely is me, but I will send that one also just in case.

Build 14 Error I got:

A more indepth shot of the error:

Attributes map bug I had with the previous build:

And last the Heithfield bug I got that I am pretty sure is me all the way, but wanted to make sure you see it anyway.

Klamath Heithfield map error:

I will try and do that Tut on making the proper heithfield map here later today if I get the chance but more likely tomorrow after I get some more stuff done on our bugs we got on the atomizer ROTFL...............Sorry I have not had more time to help lately been hella busy.

Hope the data base is working now, I am about to see if we got this part back now hahahahahahahaha.........yup guess it is, Ah haa.

OH I will send you the logs in a email that L3DT did generate in a few as well.

Last edited by DeathTwister on Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:05 pm

Hi Maylock,

The errors from the first two screenshots *should* be fixed in the update I uploaded a few moments ago. I'll have a look into the third error, but on the face of it the overlay file name didn't have a file extension. Was that so?

Cheers,
Aaron.

Correction: Nope, the file overlay is still busted. I'll sort this out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:15 pm

Hay bro, wow that was fast Te He....,

Hummm, not sure if that is a bug from mine? dunno but I will check that and do the Tut. But the attributes generator was more of a concern to me since I couldn't figure out why it would do that? As it didn't have any of my heithfield stuff in it, just yours and I hadn't touched the file extension, I don't think, hahahahahaha....

I'll send you the dump files in a few to your email. Then back to work and will wait till later to uplaod new version to make sure I got the right one ROTFL ROTFL.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:34 am

Hi Maylock,

I've just uploaded build 16. The file overlays should work now (at least the 'Mt. St. Helens' and 'Hello World!' ones.)

I'm sorry for the long delay with fixing this one.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Next

Return to Help and support