L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

How to stitch together multiple heightmaps?

Got a problem or need advice?

Re: How to stitch together multiple heightmaps?

Postby ShadowIce » Tue May 05, 2015 9:23 pm

Well a couple of things, really. I just need to know the steps to take in which to stitch 4 4096x4096 texture maps together, keep their quality as high as possible, and an easier way to flatten certain parts of the terrain, because that one has been giving me grief FOREVER. I couldn't figure out how to use the flatten tool properly, and when I did, it didn't work as expected.. It would be totally flattened in a place I didn't want totally flattened, close to it.
ShadowIce
Luminary

Postby ShadowIce » Tue May 12, 2015 4:29 pm

Anyone? :(
ShadowIce
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Thu May 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Hi ShadowIce,

Sorry for the delay.

I'll assume your four heightmaps are arranged in a 2x2 grid. If this is not correct, let me know.

1) The first step is to import the southwest heightmap tile as per normal.

2) Use the 'File→Import→Merge heightmap' menu item (see user guide). Select the southeast tile file. Disable 'stretch to fit', then set the x offset to 4096. Click OK.

3) Use the 'File→Import→Merge heightmap' menu item again, and select the northwest tile. Disable 'stretch to fit', then set the x offset to 0 and the y offset to 4096. Click OK.

4) Use the 'File→Import→Merge heightmap' menu item once more, and select the northeast tile. Disable 'stretch to fit', then set both the x and y offsets to 4096. Click OK.

5) Select the 'Operations->Heightfield->Edge blending->Linear regression of tile scaling' menu item, and set both the 'TileSizeX_px' and 'TileSizeY_px' parameters to 4096. Keep 'BlendEdges' as true, and 'BlendDepth' as 128.

You may still get some seam artifacts in this process that you will have to clean up by manual editing.

As for flattening, try the avalanche heightfield tool with the 'Min. slope' parameter set to 0, and the 'Run length' parameter set to 5.

Please let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Help and support