Large 3D terrain generator

cannot get 'DM.Sealand" setting

Got a problem or need advice?

cannot get 'DM.Sealand" setting

Postby ScreminMemes » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:05 pm

Log cleared
CMapGroup::DM_GenMapRandom error:
- cannot get 'DM.SeaLand' setting

I get this message after attempting to calculate everything for my project. This only happens when I start from Design/Inflate [Blank]
but not when using Design/Inflate (unless I try to start with a perfectly flat or sea-only map with the Design/Inflate.) It appears that the program does not want to calculate maps that it did not create automatically. I have not tried perline or fractal yet, since I do not like the way they turn out. I am trying to make a map with no water and towering mountains around a lower middle area (for importation into Neverwinter Nights 2 if you must know *grin*.)

Any clue what settings I am getting wrong that result in this? Out of 15 maps created by hand I have gotten 0 to calculate. I even tried following the fjord tutorial to the word and when I went to calculate I got this error.

I have tried both with the free version and pro version (which I am using currently.)

Thanks for any help.
ScreminMemes

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:59 pm

Hi ScreminMemes,

It would help a little if you could explain exactly your workflow here (operation by operation). The 'CMapGroup::DM_GenMapRandom' indicates that L3DT is tying to generate a design map, which it can't do with a 'design/inflate (blank)' project because the user is supposed to do it all. Now, I vaguely recall there was a bug in the calculation wizard a few weeks/months ago that made L3DT re-calculate the design map when it shouldn't, so this could be that problem again. Have you got the latest dev build? (v2.4b RC1, 12th of October) If you do, could you please send me the 'debug.dat' file from the installation path after this bug occurs? (to aaron@bundysoft.com)

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby ScreminMemes » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:29 am

No, I have the stable build. I will try to d/l the dev build and see if I get the same error, and will post/send the log file if it is still happening.

Basically I start out with the blank 24x24 map, make sure everything is set to 0m elevation, then draw on the mountains with the pencil tool. I use the set altitude (not realitive) to get a basic idea of the area layout. I also chose temperate climate and applied to all. At this point is where I attempt to calculate everything to see how it will look. After clicking OK on the last dialogue (I chose all the options in the first dialogue) it immediately brings up that error.
ScreminMemes

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:48 am

Hi ScreminMemes,

Thanks for the debug log. Whilst I did fix this fault in the newer versions, your project files (presumably from v2.4a) still have a dodgy setting that prevents them from running correctly in the new versions. Unfortunately I can't fix this problem automagically because the incorrect setting happens to be the correct value when you use the regular design/inflate algorithm. Hence I can't just change the setting when loading the project files without breaking all design/inflate maps.

Anyway, there is a manual work-around. After opening the project, go to 'settings->current project', double-click on 'DM->Algorithm' and enter "BlankDM" (this is case sensitive). After this you should be able to generate the rest of the maps properly.

Please let me know if there are any problems.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby ScreminMemes » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:14 pm

Ok... did that put in "BlankDM" (no quotation marks.) Now it says unrecognized design map algorithm

But at least it isn't saying anything about SeaLand :) I was getting tired of the program's oxymoronic ways. :)
ScreminMemes

Postby Aaron » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi ScreminMemes,

I'm very sorry I didn't get back to you on this sooner.

Did you get the 'unrecongised algorithm' error with the newer version, or the old stable build? The older one won't know about "BlankDM", but the later dev releases or the new stable 2.4b certainly should..

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support