L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Icon replacement

Got a problem or need advice?

Icon replacement

Postby eneilb » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:29 am

When I installed 2.4b I forgot to uncheck the associate box and now my Terragen icons are all L3DT. Not that it's a bad thing, just confusing. How do I "un-associate" those icons, and get Terragen icons back?
eneilb

Postby Aaron » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:50 am

Hi Eneilb,

The uninstaller was supposed to un-associate the files, but I just noticed that it's not working with this release. The fix is to edit the file association in the registry. To do this:

Click 'Start->run'.

Type 'regedit' and hit return.

At the top of the tree at the left of the window, nativage to 'My Computer->HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT->.ter'

The default value for this setting should currently read 'L3DT.TER'. If I'm lucky, there should also be a backup value there for Terragen. If so, set the default value (doule-click on it) to the backup value. If there is no backup value, I'll have to get back to you on this once I've had a chance to mess around with Terragen.

Later today I will upload a new installer with the fixed file associations, and I will also disable the TER and BT file associations by default. I apologise for this fault, it really shouldn't have happened.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:29 am

Hi Eneilb,

To follow up: I've fixed the installers for v2.4b - TER and BT aren't associated with L3DT by default, and the uninstaller will re-set the file associations to what they were before L3DT was installed.

Now, to re-set the file association you can install with the latest installer, uninstall (to remove the file assoc.), then install again (to bring L3DT back, without the file assoc.) This worked for me, but there was sometimes a delay between uninstalling and the icons reverting to their previous image - I think this is just a delay in Explorer though. Sometimes it took a minute before they refreshed, and sometimes I had to reboot

Please let me know how this goes.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support