L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Relatively new: Heightmap questions/issue

Got a problem or need advice?

Relatively new: Heightmap questions/issue

Postby gigigonzalez1988 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:31 pm

Hello all. I bought L3DT not too long ago to create some realistic Heightmaps (Black/white, in 8 bit)

So far the program works pretty good. Shame there is no multi-threading for corrosion etc yet but it will probably come one day in the future :)

So the situation is as follows: I create these heightmaps for a game, which can load PNG's up to 4096x4096 to generate the map. The game interprets around 000000 as pure black, wheras it interpets FFFFFF as 500 meter as maximum altitude. Again fairly normal.

So far so good, but I run into a few obstacles. First of all, I tried fiddling around with all the various settings in the heightmap designer, but I just cant seem to manage to get enough water in the game. There simply arent enough black spots on the heightmap that's being created. Only a very few select spots come out as water, the rest is all too much above black to make it count as water.

So far I've tried to do some heightmap clipping, not much luck. I tried to mess around with values when exporting as PNG with 8 bit and use various settings from -255 to 255 etc but again no luck. So im confused about this, what needs to be done to obtain what i want to achieve? At this point i achieve what i want with loading up the PNG in photoshop and adjust the black levels, to get the appropriate height levels but its rather inconvenient.

Further more i have some other questions. Usually I edit the map even further with my own hand to actually make small black lines in it to mimic rivers etc. Or make a big pond in the middle of the map, or a mix of both. Is L3DT able to do this for me as well? Like make some predefined ponds on specific locations, or some random made black lines (rivers) with some random width all over the map?

Sorry for the long post. Cya!
gigigonzalez1988

Re: Relatively new: Heightmap questions/issue

Postby gigigonzalez1988 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Ok i found a river plugin and try that, the other questions are still open :)
gigigonzalez1988

Re: Relatively new: Heightmap questions/issue

Postby Aaron » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:41 am

Hi Gigigonzalez1988,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the question.

I don't think you'll find much use for the rivers plugin. It's designed to calculate the shape of the water surface as it flows downhill, but as I understand it, your game expects the water surface to be flat.

What should work is to use the 'Operations->Heightfield->Clip heightfield' menu option. In the clipping window, use the default settings of Clip below 0 metres to 0 metres. What this will do is make all the land below sea-level set to sea-level. Since 0 will then be the lowest height in the map, it will all appear as black in the exported image. Note that if your map doesn't have any land below sea level, you can adjust this using the 'Operations->Heightfield->Change vertical range' menu option. In the 'Change heightfield vertical range' window, set the '% above sea level' to some number less than 100 (e.g. a value of 80 means 20% of the map will be water.), then click OK.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support