L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

CsubMap::InitMap Error - memory allocation failed

Got a problem or need advice?

CsubMap::InitMap Error - memory allocation failed

Postby Tristan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi,

I'm on the latest build of L3DT Pro - 14.09 Pro beta 5 and Im seeing memory errors all the time now.

L3DT Memory Error.JPG

The above is one example. I realise that L3DT is a 32bit app so the memory management in x64 environments can be a bit finicky is there a fix for this or do i just need to wait for a x64 version?

Thanks

Tris
Tristan

Re: CsubMap::InitMap Error - memory allocation failed

Postby Aaron » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:53 am

Hi Tristan,

Thankyou for the bug report, and sorry for the inconvenience. I've been working on improving the memory manager for the next release, and clearly I've messed something up. Can you please send me the log file? You can get to it using the 'All programs->Bundysoft->L3DT [version]->L3DT logs' shortcut in the Windows start menu. That link will open a directory in which you will find a file called 'log.txt'. With the logfile I should be able to work out what is going wrong. I'll post back here with the update when it's available.

Best regards,
Aaron Torpy
Bundysoft
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi Tristan,

Can you please download and try the latest developmental build? (v14.10 dev build 1, on the Pro downloads page now). It should fix the problem you're finding. If it does not, please send me the logfile first (instructions in prev. post), then select 'Settings->Mosaic cache settings' in the L3DT menu, check the 'manual cache management' box, then un-check the 'enable mosaic over-caching'. This mode will use much less memory, at the expense of slower calculations.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Tristan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:06 am

Aaron

Sorry for the lack of reply I didnt get an notification (my settings not yours) and then work got in the way.

I'll test later today and get back to you.

Thanks

Tris
Tristan

Postby Tristan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Aaron,

Still the same even with the new version and the settings you mentioned.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Tris
Attachments
l3dtPRO-ERROR2.JPG
log.zip
(23.27 KiB) Downloaded 713 times
Tristan

Postby Aaron » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:11 am

Hi Tristan,

Do you get this problem when you use a smaller tile size? It seems you've been using tile sizes of 4096x4096 pixels, which is a bit on the large size when it comes to efficient memory management. If you keep your tile size down at, say, 512x512px, you shouldn't see any such memory problems. The problem is when you generate maps with large tile sizes, each core (of which you have many) needs to hold a certain number of tiles in memory at a time; typically 9 for each map layer in use. When generating the texture map, for instance, you will have approximately 12 threads each loading 9 tiles on 5 map layers with 4096x4096 pixels per tile at ~4 bytes per pixel, which works out as 32 gigabytes. This is of course an upper estimate; some of those tiles will be shared, so the number will likely be smaller, but still larger than the 4GB address space available to L3DT. If, instead, you used a tile size of 512x512 pixels, that works out as ~560MB, which will be no problems. The performance difference will be marginal at most. In fact, for some operations that involve random seeking, smaller tile sizes will be faster.

If you do need large tile sizes for your output, you can always export the maps at the large tile size. This operation only needs one tile in memory at a time, so it shouldn't have any memory problems when using tile sizes of 4096.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support