L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Step in tiling terrains

Got a problem or need advice?

Step in tiling terrains

Postby Onkelpoe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:58 am

hello there,

I cropped a 8193.ter heightfiels to 8192 and exported some tiling 2049 .raw heightfields to import into unity3d engine.
I exported "mosaic tiles", raw format with Invert Y boolean = set to false, 2049 size (I get 4x4 tiles)

At first sight, everything is fine, but when walking close up to the borders, where the terrains met each other, there
is a small step in height, so there will be a rift - which is not good at all!

The next thing is, there is some strange, steep border, at the outer tile...

Any workarounds? Or did I something wrong here?

Cheers!
Attachments
border.PNG
Step.png
Onkelpoe
Contributing member

Re: Step in tiling terrains

Postby Onkelpoe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:58 am

Maybe "Duplicate tile borders" is key, here?

edit: Ok, seems like a "Duplicate Tile Borders" before "mosaic-split-export" will make for a smooth "border line" :)

Now... only the problem with that strange, steep border at the end of the tile remains
Onkelpoe
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Onkelpoe,

Yeah, you will need to make sure the tiles share a row/column of overlapping height values (same for textures, etc.) The tiled mesh exporter does this automagically, but in the case of tiled RAW files, you are left to your own devices.

Duplicate tile borders is one way to fix those seams, but it's neither the most correct nor efficient. Instead, I would export the 2049px tiles one by one using the selected area tool (or a script/graph/plugin/etc.) to make sure they actually overlap. For instance, the first tile is 0..2048, the second tile is 2048..4096, etc. This is different to doing a simple tiled RAW export, would would write 0...2048, 2049..4097, etc. (no overlap at 2048). The only problem here would then be ensuring that the altitude scaling would be consistent between tiles, which by default would not be the case with individually exported RAW files. This could be fixed (tediously) by manually calculating and entering the vertical scale in the export format settings, or it could be done programatically in a script, graph or plugin. No more time tonight, but I can possibly look into this in the next few days as time permits. [Edit: Should this be an 'export to Unity3D RAW' plugin? I guess so.]

When you load the offending RAW tile back into L3DT, can you see the steep border at the edge? What does it look like in Sapphire?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Onkelpoe » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:43 am

export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin export to Unity3D RAW' plugin

:D

Ok, I imported the .raw with that steep border back into L3DT and open up Sapphire... does this help?

Cheers
Attachments
Sapphire.png
Onkelpoe
Contributing member

Postby Onkelpoe » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:05 am

Your´re right - "Duplicate tile borders" does not remove the gaps - just makes them veeeery small.
If looking close, there are still some little rifts left:
smallrift.png
Onkelpoe
Contributing member

Postby Onkelpoe » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 am

"Steep Border issue" = /solved (was my fault, I guess)
"Seams/gap issue" = /solved (thanks to unity exporter plugin)

Cheers!
Onkelpoe
Contributing member

Return to Help and support