L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Wushan, Chongqing

Got a problem or need advice?

Wushan, Chongqing

Postby UbicaZvijezda » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Hiya,

I just purchased L3DT Pro Indie, though I have been playing with L3DT on and off for a number of months now. I'd REALLY like to actually make something that I feel is good enough to use in a new project of mine since L3DT is an incredible tool (when I read more stuff about it I find myself saying out loud "I love you Aaron") but I'm not good enough with it (yet) to use it to its full potential.

After that background info, I'm developing a game and my aim is to create a rather pretty terrain piece in L3DT, drag the mesh and texture in to Blender, where I will position and incorporate my other meshes for structures and such like on top of this beautiful backdrop.

My main two questions/requests are:
--Could I please get some help creating terrain that has the same geometry as can be seen in these photos:

--Is it possible to request help from starting the L3DT project right up to getting it Blender ready?

Hopefully I can get some help and I look forward to learning this amazing tool.

-Donald
UbicaZvijezda

Re: Wushan, Chongqing

Postby UbicaZvijezda » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:06 am

No one?
UbicaZvijezda

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi Donald,

I apologise for my slow reply.

It looks like an interesting modelling challenge you've got there. You'll need to use plenty of erosion and cliffs/terraces effects. You'll also need to design the river manually. The ski run tutorial demonstrates how to manually make long linear features like rivers. The fjord tutorial should also provide a good starting point for learning how to manually design maps. Finally, the option to export to Blender is the File->Export->Export optimised mesh menu option.

I'm sorry I don't have any more specific advice than this; I've not yet tried to create a map like the Wushan photos, so I can't say precisely what settings will be required. Please let me know if you get stuck with any particular parts of the process.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby UbicaZvijezda » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Hiya Aaron,

Thanks for the reply, late or not! (though I don't feel it was I'm just impatient!)

Importing the exported mesh into blender doesn't appear to be working for me...The mesh container is there but no actual mesh. :S

EDIT: Good news! (sort of) I figured out the mesh import problem, it IS there, just ENORMOUS. So just need to figure out why and then we're good to go. :)

Also, even better news, I've goth old of some DEM data for the Wushan region and, more specifically, the region I like the looks of. Could I please ask for your assistance on using the heightmap data I've got and using the correct L3DT settings to recreate it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! :D
UbicaZvijezda

Return to Help and support