L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Heightfield issue and problem

Got a problem or need advice?

Heightfield issue and problem

Postby Memphis291 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 am

Hello,
I´ve got a Problem that makes me mad. To explain what excatly the Problem is, please see these screenshots first.

ingame it looks like this:

and

So, now the steps about how I got the heightfield andso on.

I have grabbed the terrain via using http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/ and converting the Astra DEM files by using another tool, the result then was a very good terrainfield. What I have not seen is that the edges of the field are in somewhat not equal to each other everywhere. Pretty much more than the half of the terrain has a wrapped edge instead of an open end edge so that the game can render an infinite terrain like one can see in the both ingame above.

I´d like to know, how can I avoid this and also how can I fix this if this happen?

Thanks a lot and regards

Memphis
Memphis291

Re: Heightfield issue and problem

Postby Memphis291 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:56 pm

I pretty much believe that I figured it out by my self.
As I have used Global mapper to get the heightfield and have not used a propper Verticies Coordinates Map so it seems that my Map square was not a square...but most likely a little deshaped so that L3DT has created this steep edge.
By figuring out the propper Height and setting the surface to this height I managed to got rid of this issue. A little smooth here and a little tweek there and the issue was gone.
Memphis291

Re: Heightfield issue and problem

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:28 am

Hi Memphis291,

I'm terribly sorry for my slow reply. I think you're right about the source of the edge. If the input files weren't the right size to completely fill the output map, then any unfilled heightfield pixels will be left with the default height of 0, which will cause a steep edge with any neighbouring filled (and presumably non-zero) pixels.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support