L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

L3DT the right choice?

Got a problem or need advice?

Re: L3DT the right choice?

Postby h4voc » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:53 am

Hi Aaron,

PS: For the next build I've also modified the program to make smaller log files by default.

sounds good ;)

well the calculation is still in progress but something changed.
I came to the step "overlaying mountains"
The error is gone now.
Maybe it will return in the next step again
h4voc

Postby h4voc » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:02 am

Well error is back in overlaying Mountains
h4voc

Postby Aaron » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 am

Hi H4voc,

Okay, I've managed to reproduce the fault. Will try to fix it now...

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:21 am

Hi H4voc,

The fault was in a really old function that zeroed the progress display map before each calculation. It had some poor coordinate mapping that could try to access pixels outside the map area if the map is tiled, and the map size does not completely fill the last row/column of tiles. This only occurs if the design map is larger than 2048x2048, and if the size is not a multiple of 512.

I'm still testing to make sure there are no other problems with this map size, but when done I'll upload a new dev build with the fix. Thanks again for the bug report.

Kind regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby h4voc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:44 pm

Thank you for the fast fixing.

Well i finished the calculation process and i got a complete HM.

Something that came to my mind:

If i change 1 or x tiles in the DM and recalculate the HM does it calculate the whole map or the edited part only?

Another thing i like to understand is:
If a change a generated heightmap via 3d brush, does the DM saves this changes too? For example, if i generate a HM from a DM. Then ill edit die HM in 3dview and add some small hills somewhere. What if change the DM now and add a mountain somewhere and recalculate the HM?

Thank you again for the support Aaron!

best regards,
h4voc
h4voc

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi H4voc,

The fix for the reported fault is included in the latest developmental build (L3DT Pro 15.04.0.1), which is on the pro downloads page now (please see sales/reg receipt e-mail for link). Please let me know if you find any further problems. Thanks again for the bug report, and for your patience.

If i change 1 or x tiles in the DM and recalculate the HM does it calculate the whole map or the edited part only?

At the moment, the whole thing is re-calculated.

It may be possible for me to make L3DT re-calculate a selected area and then blend the result with the existing heightmap, but it's not going to be easy or quick. The problem is that changes to a single design map pixel can have far-reaching effects across the heightmap, particularly when strong erosion is used. This means I may have to re-calculate much more than just the heightfield area corresponding to the modified design map pixels; I'll have to re-generate a larger area depending on the settings used. Also, a better blending algorithm may be required than what I currently use.

If a change a generated heightmap via 3d brush, does the DM saves this changes too?

No. There is no easy way to do this automatically, as the DM->HF calculation is not reversible without significant data loss.

That said, you can re-generate the whole design map from the heightfield using 'Operations->Heightfield->Generate from DM', but the result is an approximation, and it certainly won't give you the same heightfield as the original if you go ahead and re-calculate the heightfield.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Help and support