L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Flattening map?

Got a problem or need advice?

Flattening map?

Postby Acoustic » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:44 am

3d editor in heightmap doesn't work well at all, nor does design map (no way to blend it in easily). Any suggestions on flattening parts of map?
Acoustic

Re: Flattening map?

Postby Aaron » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi Acoustic,

I don't think there's another nice out-of-the-box way to flatten a selected area of a map in L3DT other than the existing heightfield or design map editor tools, but I'm sure I cook something up for you fairly quickly depending on exactly what you're trying to do. Are you trying to flatten an area of the heightmap that was generated in L3DT, or was the heightmap imported from elsewhere? If it's an L3DT-generated map, would a design map smoothing brush help? (this should be fairly easy to implement) If it's an externally generated heightfield, perhaps a masked flatten/smooth/combine calculation would work better, using an user-supplied image as the mask. (this is a bit more work). Alternatively, improvements to the 3D tools might be the answer. Could you nominate what it is about the 3D editor tools that aren't working at all well for your task?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Acoustic » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:21 am

Hi Aaron! Thanks for the response, and I kinda do have a suggestion.

Design map brush would be best. http://www.worldpainter.net/ (worldpainter) is essentially a design level map generator made for the game Minecraft. Although much more dumbed down (doesn't have to generate most of the stuff L3DT does) it contains a lot of cool features that would benefit L3DT designer level. It has a flatten tool, for instance, that when clicked on a certain height level and dragged will gradually flatten everything to that level. It all comes down to being able to make the flatten area look like it translates well into the terrain without having that drawn out look.

If that made any kind of sense, let me know. haha. Looking forward to something!
Acoustic

Postby Acoustic » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:59 am

Just found out how important the erosion option was. Nevermind haha. I think a smoothing tool would be nice, but not needed for me atm. Great tool!
Acoustic

Return to Help and support