L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Unity tiling

Got a problem or need advice?

Re: Unity tiling

Postby demi » Fri May 01, 2015 2:35 am

There is a mosaic tool on the web. I'll have to search for it or you can. It is a simple command line program that takes any size file and chops it up into a mosaic.

Maybe this?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/enblend ... =directory

lot of good stuff in the sourceforge. :)

One more thing.

Try exporting the full maps as mosaic now that they are made. Do NOT convert them just export. I think this will help.
demi
Oracle

Postby Dimlos » Fri May 01, 2015 10:30 am

I need to recap what I have in order to understand:

I have an 8k map saved as RAW by L3DT. That's the only full map that I have.
I saved this project so I can open it and render anything out of this map really quickly.

I have a million tiles that I tried in some folders, don't mind them I can render more :p.

I did not understand your last sentence, What do you mean by converting them? I just export as raw, you mean exporting them as HFZ?
Dimlos

Postby demi » Fri May 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Dimlos wrote:I need to recap what I have in order to understand:

I have an 8k map saved as RAW by L3DT. That's the only full map that I have.
I saved this project so I can open it and render anything out of this map really quickly.

I have a million tiles that I tried in some folders, don't mind them I can render more :p.

I did not understand your last sentence, What do you mean by converting them? I just export as raw, you mean exporting them as HFZ?

the original map is mosaic?

If it is, select layer -> mosaic and combine it. then generate the rest of the textures as one map. THEN export these textures as a mosaic. This way there is no border between tiles.
demi
Oracle

Postby Dimlos » Fri May 01, 2015 11:11 pm

My 8k original map is not mosaic.
I generated this map as an huge 8k, in one piece.

Then I exported the tiles.
Dimlos

Postby demi » Sat May 02, 2015 12:24 am

Dimlos wrote:My 8k original map is not mosaic.
I generated this map as an huge 8k, in one piece.

Then I exported the tiles.

If you are using the default settings everything gets made as mosaic. Look closely at what you make like water map, normal, textures and splats. They must be made without mosaic to start with.
demi
Oracle

Postby Dimlos » Sat May 02, 2015 3:09 am

In order to make my 8k map I did not check Mosaic.

I'll try to add subtitle to the video so that you'll understand what I showed :)

I added subtitles en English in my video. If I did not add anything it is because what I was saying didn't really matter (after 2:07).

EDIT: I found a way to edit heighmaps in photoshop. Exporting from L3DT as PNG allows me to make any change I want to the texture and then export it as a Raw file from photoshop.
But sadly, even by making tiles by myself in photoshop (2048 first, and then 2049 in order to have one similar row to each tile), I can see the huge line.

EDIT2: I found this: http://scrawkblog.com/2013/03/21/creati ... -in-unity/

I tried it and on play it worked fine, but then I realised that TerrainComposer already has that "Neighbors" system. I deleted the editor and script file to see if Terrain Composer did it.

And it worked, the weird thing is that I'm sure that I tried to hit play several times before, without any result.
In my dozens of tries I saw that Terrain Composer took the wrong neighbors, and when I changed them, he changed them back automatically.

I recently realised that the 0x0 of L3DT was at the bottom left. For some reason all my previous tries were using the top left. I don't have find anything yet on why or how I fucked up, but I'm sure that I did.
I failed somewhere because the "Fit All" function did not fit corrrectly terrains most of the times.

EDIT3:
So I tried several things and ehre is how to do it:

In order to have a good tile, you need to export you tiles with +1 pixel in size.
The main problem was the Neighbors system. You need to place your terrains correctly so that terrains are correctly placed in the Neighbors script.
Then when you hit play, the seams will disapear automatically.
Dimlos

Previous

Return to Help and support