L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Reducing size of a real life terrian

Got a problem or need advice?

Reducing size of a real life terrian

Postby Sabergaming » Sat May 16, 2015 4:25 pm

I have imported a map onto L3DT but it is to achual scale (200km x 200km) which is far too big. how do i change the scale to about 30km x 30km but still keep the vertical scale or hieght without going into rows and rows of spiked mountains. i appreciate any help.
Sabergaming

Re: Reducing size of a real life terrian

Postby Aaron » Sun May 17, 2015 3:30 am

Hi Sabergaming,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the question. Unfortunately, it sounds a bit impossible. It's mathematically unavoidable that when you decrease the horizontal scale but keep the vertical scale constant, the gradient (steepness) must increase.

To the limit of my imagination, your options are:

[1] Crop the map to select a 30km x 30km area to use. This way you can preserve both the horizontal and vertical scaling, and therefore the gradient also. If the original data is too coarse, L3DT (or other programs) can be used to fill it in with greater detail.

[2] Carefully cut and paste the desired features in the 200x200km map into a synthetic 30x30km map, and blend it all together. This will be difficult, and L3DT does not do this well at all. Howard Zhou has made some nice plugins for World Machine that may be of use in this task (see here).

Does anyone else in the forum have a better suggestion?

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support