L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

attributes map refresh

Got a problem or need advice?

attributes map refresh

Postby Demostenes » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:26 pm

How to refresh attributes map in case, I change for example settings of snow for arctic clima? Manualy repainting by attributes brush all arctic clima areas is not productive at all. Thanks.
http://www.esqgame.com - oldschool MMO in developement
Demostenes
Contributing member

Re: attributes map refresh

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi Demostenes,

Is 'Operations->Attributes map->Generate map' what you seek?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Demostenes » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:07 am

Well, I have manualy painted attibutes map consisting from several clima types, so I cant use this.
Demostenes
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi Demostenes,

Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately, L3DT does not keep a permanent record of which pixels the have been manually edited in the attributes map versus which have been automatically generated. Thus, L3DT can't know which pixels to leave untouched when refreshing all or part of the attributes map. However, it may be possible to use some sort of mask overlay to control which areas of the attributes map are re-calculated, for instance using a hand-drawn black & white image where white areas are re-calculated and black are left untouched. The attributes map mask overlay feature doesn't currently support re-calculating land types this way, but I think I could make it work that way. I'll see what I can do.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Demostenes,

I may have a somewhat workable solution for you in the latest developmental build (L3DT 15.07 build 1), which is on the Pro downloads page now.

The first thing you'll need is a black and white mask image that is the same aspect ratio as your map (smaller size is OK; L3DT will interpolate). The image should be black over the areas where you've manually edited the attributes map, and white everywhere else. You may wish to do this in a 3rd party image editor, or you could use the 'Layers->New map layer' menu option in L3DT, as well as the (admittedly crude) editing tools, perhaps in conjunction with the 'image drape' feature to semi-transparently show the attributes map whilst you edit the mask.

Anyway, once you've got your mask, select the 'Operations->Attributes map->Mask overlay'. In the 'Attributes map mask overlay' window, select your mask image / map layer, then the climate you want to refresh. Leave the land type selection on '<< auto calc >>'. To make sure L3DT doesn't change any of the pixels from other climates, select the 'Apply overlay to selected climate only' checkbox.

When you click OK, L3DT will re-calculate the land types in the attributes map only for the climate you nominated, and not in the blacked-out areas of the mask map. Note this will not change pixels from one climate to another.

I have some faith that the 'undo' feature will work OK, but you may wish to save a backup copy of the map just in case.

Please let me know if you find any problems or if you require any modifications.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Demostenes » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:36 pm

You are great, it seems quite usable, I am just experimenting with it. Sorry for late reply, I was on hollydays.
Demostenes
Contributing member

Return to Help and support