L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

I need help with Battlezone 1 Map Making

Got a problem or need advice?

I need help with Battlezone 1 Map Making

Postby Echoblammo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:51 am

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure how close you guys are as a community, but if you haven't noticed, I am new to this site, software, and map making in General so I have some questions regarding, in my opinion, the greatest game ever made.

http://www.battlezone1.org/
No Argument, best SCi-Fi RTS FPS ever made. And just generally best game ever. Period :)

So yes, I have NO idea where to even start on L3TD to make a map, and I'm not sure if making a map is universal or interchangable based on game type, but I certainly need some help.
Echoblammo

Re: I need help with Battlezone 1 Map Making

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:28 am

Hi Echoblammo,

Welcome to the forum, and thank-you for the flashback to 1998. If you can find a specification for the terrain file format used by Battlezone, then it may be possible to export something from L3DT to that format. If it's fairly straightforward and well-defined, than it's probably something I can add to L3DT. However, if the format is not well documented, or if it requires lots of customised calculations (e.g. level of detail meshes), then it's probably not something I'd be in a hurry to take on.

Also, do you know of any converter programs that can read/write the Battlezone terrain format to/from another file format?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: I need help with Battlezone 1 Map Making

Postby Echoblammo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:35 am

OK, you're gonna have to walk me through this since I'm like maybe a 4/10 when it comes to technical stuff with computers.

What'll I be looking for?

(And P.S. the game is free if you want to just see for your self :)
~ECHO
Oh wait not that kind of signiature
Echoblammo

Return to Help and support