L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Design Map Pencil

Got a problem or need advice?

Design Map Pencil

Postby monks » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:12 pm

Latest Build:
I'm not suer if this a bug (or whether it's already been covered). The DM pencil size setting is odd. When set to square shape the size in the field does not correspond to the size of the DM pixels set.
I set size to 1 output = correct
2 = 3
4 = 5

I think the square shape setting is using the circle shape for its extents.

//edit: I hesitate to postthis as a bug so I'll tack it onto the end of this. The Aaron sez (:lol:) help box for Arctic climate has 'snow' mispelled.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:32 am

Hi Monks,

The size is the distance from the centre of the brush to the edge, which is equivalent to the radius of the circular brush. So, for instance, if you switch from circle to square brush size, the width will be the same. I personally prefer that way, but if there is sufficient clamour I can add an option to select a 'full width' measure for the square brush.

I hesitate to post this as a bug so I'll tack it onto the end of this. The Aaron sez (Laughing) help box for Arctic climate has 'snow' mispelled.

Oops, thanks for catching that - I've fixed it for the next release. You can, if you so choose, also fix this by opening up the climate editor (climates->arctic), and click on the "author's notes" button.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:48 am

Right- hmm- it's swings and roundabouts maybe. Basically you're giving the circle more importance but the DM pixels are square. I (at least) automatically presume that the square size refers to the 'diameter'. Why not have the cirlce size refer to the diameter? The thing is you don't really approach the DM pixels like you would a real pencil- which has a point at a vertex. The DM pixels are too large for that to be a natural view of it. Maybe you have plans where this will all change?

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:32 pm

monks wrote:Why not have the cirlce size refer to the diameter?

Because it's neater to use radius.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support