L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

"Cannot copy map area" when exporting mesh.

Got a problem or need advice?

"Cannot copy map area" when exporting mesh.

Postby joehot200 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:04 am

Hi, I'm attempting to export a tiled mesh into an OBJ file, unfortunately, it doesn't want to work.

Here is a pastebin of the logs that print out:
http://pastebin.com/RK42UFvd

My export settings look like this:

Also, I can confirm that when it is NOT tiled, it exports the terrain perfectly, and I can import it into blender very easily. However, when it is tiled, it only exports one or two tiles, and those tiles seem fairly garbled and incorrect (For example, their position seems to be about 100,000 coordinates from 0,0).

I've done a lot of testing, but I cannot currently find a resolution to this problem.

Thank you
Joe

Edit: After a lot of experimentation, I have discovered that anything above 2x2 tiles creates that error. I can export 2x2 tiles fine, but when I reach 3x3, it causes errors and exports incorrectly.
joehot200

Re: "Cannot copy map area" when exporting mesh.

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:45 am

Hi Joe,

I apologise for this inconvenience. I'll have a look into the behaviour of the exporter user interface and tiling algorithm.

That said, I think it will work if you set the tile size to the default 2^n+1 size (e.g. '257', '513', etc.) These "+1" sizes are used to ensure each tile overlaps perfectly.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby joehot200 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, my game engine needs 500x500-sized meshes. I can easily account for chunk "seams" by adding overlapping myself within the code, but I cannot really increase to such an awkward number as 513 (512 may be fine, but 513 is an awkward odd number and is hard to work with).
joehot200

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi Joe,

Could you explain this 500x500 limitation a bit more? Does this mean, for instance, that the heightfield area corresponding to the mesh must be 500x500 pixels? If so, is there an explicit requirement on the number or spacing of vertices in the mesh, or should it just cover the same exact area?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:34 pm

[Edit: Oops, accidentally posted reply here for your other thread. Fixed. Sorry.]
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support