L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

File Overlay

Got a problem or need advice?

File Overlay

Postby monks » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:06 pm

I don't seem to be able to reset the alts in DM via Apply to All once I've used an overlay. This is what I did.

new map : blank/inflate
defaults

DM view
DM brush
defaults
Alt =4000
Spec Type = File overlay
Parameter = 1

draw with pencil

operations>heightfield>generate map

view> show DM

DM Brush: set all pixels to 0 alt.
alt =0
apply to all

The pixel colours are reset but it's leaving the overlay text in place ("Fo 1") even though you've you set all of the DM pixels to 0 alt.
If you then generate a heightfield map the overlay is still there so it's not just cosmetic. However if you generate a map preview, the changes to 0 alt have been made.

I can't work out what's going on with the Hello World overlay- it's the same as Mt St Helens except that in generate map it removes the mountain but not the 'Hello World'.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:33 am

Hi Monks,

When you set all the pixels to 0 alt, did you also set all the 'spec type' values to 'none'? Alt does not effect spec type, and vice versa. In fact, all of the parameters are independent of one another (well, except spec type and spec param, but hey, you always need an exception to the rule.)

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:38 am

Ah right- I thought Aaron being Aaron he would have made it more unified/elegant- pff!- what do I know. :lol: I get it now- no complaints here :)

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:29 pm

Hi Monks,

Nah, I just had to consider the case that someone might want to put a file overlay (or any other type of special overlay) onto land at 0 alt.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support