L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Another question about importing heightmap

Got a problem or need advice?

Another question about importing heightmap

Postby piratelord » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:28 pm

I notice that when you import an heightmap, the brightest point on the map becomes the max altitude.

Is there a way to prevent this, so that solid black becomes the lowest altitude, and solid white the max altitude?

Reason being, we've got a nicely designed heightmap of a world, but we want to split it into tiles first before importing into L3DT for it to do it's magic.
Any any point during the development, a tile might be updated, so naturally it's more time efficient to only reprocess that tile.
piratelord
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:11 pm

Hi Piratelord,

Okay, I'll put this on the to-do list.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby piratelord » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:36 am

Hey, that's great. Should be fairly simple too?
piratelord
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:19 am

Hi Piratelord,

Having implemented and tested this mode, I've decided to make it non-default and to have the option to enable it in 'settings->local settings', rather than in the import interface. The name of the setting in Local settings will be 'File->import->Image->UseFullGreyscaleRange' or somesuch. This update might be released before Christmas, but probably in the new year.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby piratelord » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:47 am

Sounds great and will be a big help.

We have a large map, which I export into sections for L3DT to produce better looking mountains and the like, and the results are then pasted back into this original heightmap and tweaked.
Being able to then re-import this heightmap into chunks and not worry that the max altitude is wrong for that chunk will be a big time saver.

Thanks for this.

Just gotta work out some way of being able to provide a 16bit image to L3DT when I've finished :D
piratelord
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:55 am

Hi Piratelord,

On the downloads page is dev build 2.4.2.21, which includes this mode. I've done this rather quickly though, so the process to activate this mode is a bit more involved than it could be. Firstly, you need to import an image as a heightfield as usual. The, go to 'Settings->Local settings' and dig down to the flag at 'File->Import->Image->UseGreyscaleRange' (or words to that effect.) Double-click on that setting to flip the state. Then, go back and re-import the heightfield and it should work.

FYI, the reason you have to do the import twice is that the flag is only created when the importer asks for it. However, once it's been created, it is remembered across sessions, so you only need to do this process once. If this proves popular, I’ll come up with a nicer interface in a later release.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby piratelord » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:14 am

Hey, that's great. I'll test it out right now.

We are importing a bit atlas terrain into TSE as small tiles, at the moment I can see the join where the calculated altitudes for the terrains are slightly out (still very close though).

I'll let you know how it goes.
piratelord
Luminary

Postby piratelord » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:40 am

Seems to work a treat! Very useful function, and not really that clunky to change settings.

Great work Aaron. Gonna have to buy this.
piratelord
Luminary

Postby Redrobes » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:31 pm

Just to say that I will find this useful too. :)
Redrobes

Return to Help and support