L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Convert .r32 files to .raw usable in SL or Opensim

Got a problem or need advice?

Convert .r32 files to .raw usable in SL or Opensim

Postby Bastien » Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Greetings, all... I'm a brand new user of L3DT 16.05 Standard and I'm pretty excited about what I think I can accomplish with this program. I'm an opensim terraformer and this gives me the ability to create some amazing RAW files to use in various projects. I seem to have hit a snag, though, and I'm hoping one of you will have the solution.

I've made a number of RAW files for opensim grids and saved them all. The grid I rent property on now allows us =almost= complete control over our land... with the exception of not being able to get our grubby paws on their console... and I have four sims side-by-side in a nice little square. I've terraformed these four regions to connect seamlessly and tweaked them over the course of the past four years so they're perfect for my needs... except for those border crossings.

To get rid of the border crossings I recently got a 2x2 region that I'd like to transfer that quad to, and to do that I needed to be able to merge them. After a lot of reading, I found the script in L3DT that allowed me to bring them in as heightmaps, then Aaron sent the tutorial that allowed me to stitch those heightmaps together and merge them into a really nice-looking single region. More reading and I discovered how to export them as an .r32 file. And a little more and I found the option to export as .raw.

And that's where I'm stuck. :cry:

The single region RAWs I've saved are all 832 KB.
The several 2x2 RAW files I have are all 3328 KB.
In the zips for 2x2's I've gotten from Metro's Terrains region I see that the .r32 files for those 2x2's are 1024 KB.
So far so good. The .r32 I exported from L3DT was also 1024 KB.
But when I try to export that using the .raw extension, I get a 512 KB file that won't even load.

If I had a region in OSGrid, or a sim on a stick, or any sort of Opensim region that I owned... personally... the .r32 would be awesome. I could just program it into the console. But I rent property from other people who own the grids I live on.

So my question is this: How do I convert the .r32 file to a .raw file at 3328 KB that I can use on grids owned by someone else?

Or have I just overlooked something in L3DT that will allow me to increase the size of that 512 KB file to the 3328 KB I need for my 2x2 region? I'm still fairly new at this, so it's highly possible I've overlooked something in the program in spite of all the research I've been doing.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. :D
Bastien

Re: Convert .r32 files to .raw usable in SL or Opensim

Postby Aaron » Thu May 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Bi Bastien,

By default, L3DT writes RAW files as 16 bits per pixel. I'm guessing you need RAWs with 32 bits per pixel. There are two ways to do this:
  1. Rename your '*.r32' file to '*.raw' (r32 is just 32 bit raw with a different extension), or;
  2. In the export map wizard, select the 'raw' format, then press the 'options...' button, and double click on the 'mode' item, and select the '32 bit floating point (metres)' option (see here for description of RAW format options).
Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi Bastien,

Sorry, scratch all that in the previous post (I should have done more research before posting.) What you need is the file to be written in SecondLife's odd 13-layer RAW format. I do not have an exporter for that at present. I will look into it some more.

Regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Bastien » Mon May 08, 2017 2:02 am

Hey, Aaron... thanks for the reply. I actually figured this out on my own. I had to go to OutWorldz and get their new opensim file for DreamWorld. Much easier to load and work with than either Sim on a Stick or any other opensim SQL-type program I've run across. The techspeak stuff in those made my eyes cross. Ferd Fredrix made it simple.

Now I can create anything from standard sim sizes to an 8x8, allow it to save to Opensim as an .r32 file and drop that into the Opensim bin, then just "terrain load Falconvale_HF.r32" (or whatever I've named it) on my mini-grid from OutWorldz and it's instant. From there, I can download it normally in the Region Details as a RAW file. Of course, the first thing I did was use my stitched together regions (after running through your tutorial on merging heightmaps) to recreate my little quad as a 2x2. Smooth as silk. I'm able to live on it now and in the process of moving over all my existing landscaping.

And then I went on to create other RAW files for different opensim projects I'm involved in.

The problem I found, and maybe you can help me with this, is that when I uploaded the first little 2x2's I had mountains to the moon!! I'm sure I'm missing a setting somewhere in the program that would put these at the right altitude, but I didn't find it during the first few I made. So I had to figure out how to change it after creation and before upload.

The workaround for that is =before= uploading the file, go to Operations > Heightfield > Change vertical range... and set the Min and Max to -100 and 100. (I had one that was -316 - 937!!) You can see then what your average altitude will be and how much of your land will be above sea level. I've adjusted those Min/Max numbers as necessary. For some of the projects I've been working on, I needed more land. Others needed more water. I usually just go back and create a new project, but I've used those pretty effectively, also.

The other problem I'm having is that even though I've told it to "wrap edges" ...which I assumed meant smooth them down to sea level at the edge... they don't. So I'm left with having to blend those edges down to the waterline by hand. This is only happening at the region edges. Not anywhere in the interior. Kind of a pain when I've got a great mountain at the edge... that has been chopped in half.

Is there a setting I've missed that will correct that? It probably has something to do with the "mountains to the moon" issue. If I can figure out one, I'll figure out the other.

All in all, I've had a blast with your program, Aaron. I've told quite a few other folks about it so hopefully you'll see a few more poking their heads in here eventually.

Thanks for the great work! :D

~ B. Falconvale
Bastien

Return to Help and support