L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

mesh export question

Got a problem or need advice?

mesh export question

Postby mcbeth » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:17 pm

is 329mb common for a 2048*2048 heightmap exported to .x or am I missing something. I tried to importing it into blender but it takes long and blender seems to freeze. assuming that the size is the issue.

any chance supporting other mesh formats because .obj would be alot better and is handle near flawlessly by most if not all packages that support it, as opposed .x or even .3ds which got mentioned.........I think... as another possible L3DT export.
mcbeth
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi McBeth,

The X format is written in text mode, so 329MB is probably about right. If anyone would like to re-write the X plugin to use binary mode, the source code is here. Similarly, if anyone wants to make an OBJ or 3DS plugin, the X plugin source would be a good start. I am at presently occupied with other things.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mcbeth » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:16 pm

should have replied a while ago but............

I got the mesh to import to blender by rescale the export to 512, got alot of detail still though.............. fine detail isn't really a great concern as this is for a game engine, I dont much like working with heightmaps and would preety much like to keep as much scene work as possible in the modeller.

one slightly offtopic question though is possible to create a quadtree type terrain in a modeller but minimise visible seams or does it just make more sense to brute force it and try to optimise everthing else.
mcbeth
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:15 am

Hi McBeth,

Sorry, I don't have much experience in modelling programs nor quadtree-based terrain. Is there anyone here in the forums who could offer advice?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support