L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Islands

Got a problem or need advice?

Islands

Postby hedcrusha » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi im new to L3DT but i like it. Just wondering not sure if its been asked but the search didnt unveil anything. Iim wondering what setting do i change to make just an island in the middle of the water as when i create a hightmap it always has land at the edge of the map thats very high and im using it to import into a game and it doesnt look natural. Also ive tried 3d editing but i cant get it just right. Also im using the fractal hight field creation.

Thanks in advance.
hedcrusha

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:56 am

Hi Hedcrusha,

Sorry, there's no 'automatic island' setting. I suggest you use the 'design/inflate' algorithm, as it allows you to manually build terrain features like islands. For an example of how to manually design terrain, check out the making a fjord tutorial.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby hedcrusha » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:53 pm

Just perfect, thanks alot for the help.

Just another question can you use your own textures and how do i paint roads onto my texture map?

Thanks again in advance.
hedcrusha

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi Hedcrusha,

Just another question can you use your own textures

Yes you can. I suggest you open the climate manager, copy and existing climate, and then edit the land types to use the textures you want. The relvant parts of the userguide are the land type editor, and in particular, the texture layers tab.

how do i paint roads onto my texture map?

It's not super-easy at the moment. First, view the attributes map ('view->show map' and select 'attributes map'), then click on the 'edit' button on the toolbar. Then, select the land type for your road (you may need to make one with a road texture), and paint it where you want the road to go. This is basically what I did to make the screenshot in this thread (scroll down a bit). For that shot, I also edited the heightfield using the bulldozer and thermal erosion tools. Once you're done with your HF and AM editing, re-generate the texture.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby hedcrusha » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:10 pm

Absolutely fantastic!! Thanks for the help.

Would it be possible to make a random roads, textures plugin? That instead of painting the texture onto the map you set what width you want to road to be and it will randomly paint it on the texture map for you whilst generating you texture map?
hedcrusha

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:16 am

Hi Hedcrusha,

It's certainly feasible for a plugin to do all the road geometry/texture placement. With enough skill and time, it could also be made fully automatic. I can put this on the plugin requests page if you like.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support