L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

L3DT 2 TSE import problems

Got a problem or need advice?

L3DT 2 TSE import problems

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:54 pm

Hi All,
I am still having trouble getting my size right in the import interface. I have also posted this on GG but I get better results here with my buddies than there for some reason. I am trying to import a terr and the info is:
X 16 Y 16
heightfield resolution is (m) 20
20x20 kilometres
TX map at 4096
square size is 2 and I was going to use hightscale of 0.0326 (I think is right) taken from L3DT viewer vertical scale.
Tree depth of 6
Error inetric of 2
dateset of 64

But for some reason I dont have a clue as to what my size is? I thought it would be 1024x1024 but is gives me a error message saying:
size must be a integer of >0 and a power of 2. So what am I doing wrong may I ask? I am missing something I know.

Also I am having trouble getting my leaf depth when trying to bring in the texture for the terrain.
I brought the TX in at 4096 with a (size of 2) and a (tree depth of 6), but I can't seem to figure out how to get my leaf depth.

How do I get that number? I have read a number of Tutorials on this and none talk about the leaf depth at all that I could find except here. I downloaded the new importer but it doesn't seem to automatically generate my leaf depth like the posts suggest it would. Did I do something wrong?
I am looking at the download on GG's website, and I have noticed that the download does not seem to reflect the new post with the new importer for L3DT terrains.
Reference to seems outdated?:
http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=resource&page=view&qid=8236

Is it possible to get the new link to the new nsatlasqui? Because from the post at L3DT the other day, we got the impression that there was a newer build somewhare with the fixes with auto leaf generator. The one on GG does not have the features you were saying you added. Could you post that puppy here for us please my good man?
:roll: :lol: :idea:
DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:34 pm

Hello,

Sorry I can't help; as Sgt. Schultz would say, "I know nothing!”

Anyhoo, I've moved the thread from "users' projects" to "help and support", because that's where it belongs.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:22 pm

OOh KK, thought that was the spot, oops......

KK well I hope someone can help about now as I am a artist not a math or program type of guy and I am way out of my league here. Almost got it though with a bit of help I can be off and running. I have terrains backed up in the factory and they are rarring to go hahahahahahahaha........

DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:41 pm

First off, did you increase the RAW image by 1 pixel on each end? You have to take a 1024x1024 image and make it 1025x1025. You still set the size as 1024 when you import it to Torque, but the image has to be 1 pixel greater.

Secondly, you don't want to make your squareSize 2 when your heightfield resolution is 20. Heightfield resolution and suareSize is the same thing pretty much, so you would want a 20 squareSize for things to work properly.

For heghtscale, all you need to do there is open the heightfield in L3DT and find the lowest and highest points on the map and add them together. For example, lowest point is -250. Highest is 575. Add them and make 825. That is the total range of height for your map. You then take that number and divide by 65535. You can just put that right into a simple calculator. The scale is now 0.0125 (rounded off.. anything past that many places prolly isn't needed).

Tree depth is the one thats a bit more tricky. This will be based on your error metric for the most part. If your error metric is too high for your tree depth, it'll have too many vertices on one level and will crash with an error saying that. You must then increase your tree depth. Don't go too high though because it will cause your file size to increase rapidly, along with load times. Feel free to raise your error metric a bit. That'll actually make things run better, just look slightly less detailed.

For textures, set the tree depth the same as your terrain. The leafSize can then only be 1 number. Just enter a number into the GUI, like say 3. It will then show an error box if it is wrong and will say what your number you chose equals and what you need. For example, may say something like "8192 != 4096". 8192 would be the resolution required for the leafSize you entered. 4096 is what you need it to equal. So, what you would do is then decrease your leafSize by 1 and that would be the right number.

Hope this clears things up a bit.
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:49 pm

WOOT WTG bro,

OK I have the info just not the time at the moment to use it :cry: hehe but I will later today or tomorrow and post back my results to you and thank you so much for the help, your the man :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you, thank you, and I hope I am smart enough now o get this figured out now I hope a hope. Hopefully with some graphics which would be the best way I think and hope OMG ROTFL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just so dang bizzy at the moment as I am sure we all are today hahahahahaha..........Lord knows this old peebrain needs the help.

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Sage » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:51 am

For heghtscale, all you need to do there is open the heightfield in L3DT and find the lowest and highest points on the map and add them together. For example, lowest point is -250. Highest is 575. Add them and make 825. That is the total range of height for your map. You then take that number and divide by 65535. You can just put that right into a simple calculator. The scale is now 0.0125 (rounded off.. anything past that many places prolly isn't needed).

I've just been opening the terrain file in L3DTVi2 to get the vertical scale on the heigtmap.
-Sage
Sage

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:33 am

Hello,

Whoops, that was an oversight on my part. The next release of L3DT will have a script to calculate this value for you, without leaving the app.

In addition to the methods described by Sage and dEaThMaStEr, you can also get the scale value by:
  • If you have saved the map as a HFF, you can read the scale value from the file using the 'Options->Utilities->Read file header' menu option.
  • You can get the exact min/max values from the histogram dialog ('Operations->Heightfield->Set vertical scale'), the difference of which you then divide by 65535 to get the scale (as described by dEaThMaStEr).

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:04 pm

OOOHH very very cool, KK maybe In will wait then if I get into this and hit another brick wall and just wait for the update WOOT WOOT thanks Aaron you the man.

DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Help and support