L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

I don't have enough RAM to flood lake, sea etc. (??!)

Got a problem or need advice?

I don't have enough RAM to flood lake, sea etc. (??!)

Postby Kafetist » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:55 pm

I still got 786 DDR so it shouldn't be that much of a problem? Why can't you mosaic this into 4x4 bits or something?

CSubMap::InitMap error:
- calloc failed to allocate 536870912 bytes due to insufficient system memory

CMapWrap::InitMap error
- cannot allocate SubMap
over - f00nk! fTW-!!! ''Oh, it was my coffee ...'' - and out
Kafetist

Re: I don't have enough RAM to flood lake, sea etc. (??!)

Postby Aaron » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:24 am

Hi Kafetist,

Kafetist wrote:I still got 786 DDR so it shouldn't be that much of a problem?

This was an 8192 x 8192 map, no? That failed allocation of 512Mb was only for one of the maps; when flooding water L3DT needs at least 3 maps allocated (heightfield, water map, and an auxiliary map). In total, you will need at least 1280Mb of RAM to flood water on an 8192 x 8192 map in RAM-only mode (around 100-200Mb for mosaics).

Kafetist wrote:Why can't you mosaic this into 4x4 bits or something?

You can, but it's a little indirect. You need to split the heightfield into a mosaic before flooding, as the water map 'inherits' the mosaic settings of the heightfield. To split the heightfield into a mosaic, select the heightfield ('View->Show map->Heightfield'), then select the 'Operations->Active map->Split to mosaic' option. If you want the heightfield to be a single-file, you can use the 'Operations->Active map->Combine mosaic' option *after* you've finished with the other map operations.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Kafetist » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:27 am

oh ya! gonatestitout-gonatestitout-gonatestitout!!1

Edit: Argh! You could have told you should mosaic After the detail map is finished too ; )

Edit2: BTW, any idea how long this will take?... Got a ~2,2GHz P4 processor and the mentioned 786 DDR.

Edit3: Hooly *##* it takes long! Any way to reduce this? It's just a watermap anyway ;p. Oh well, I guess I could manually adjust climate to resemble lakes and seas. Oh hmm, I can't! I can't get saltiness information from anywhere :( I'm doing a 8192x8192 with 2048 mosaics, btw.
over - f00nk! fTW-!!! ''Oh, it was my coffee ...'' - and out
Kafetist

Postby Forboding Angel » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:57 pm

kafetist, it's actually easier to jsut add the sand texture in photoshop after you have done the entire thing.

THe only real things you need to do in l3dt for spring mapping is , import heightmap, design map, attributes map, and then generate texture (make sure you uncheck "use light map").

I usually just paint the sand texture with photoshop afterwards. Much much easier.
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:38 am

Hello,

Following Forboding Angel's comments; If you're still going to use L3DT's water mapping and climate system, I'd recommend setting the 'lakes' parameter to 0 on every pixel in the design map (use 'apply to all' in the DM pencil dialog). TA-Spring doesn't, as far as I'm aware, support water bodies at different levels, so this will only slow you down. Also, you can speed up the water-table modelling, at the expense of quality, by reducing the number of iterations to 1 (2 is default, I think). It depends on the complexity of your map as to whether you will notice the difference - you might see sharp features in the water table that shouldn't be there.

If, however, you're not going to use the water-modelling system, then I would recommend you make a simplified climate file with rock, grass &c but without all the different types of grasses, as these are water-table dependent. A smaller climate file will greatly speed up the attributes-map generation, and also the texture generation if you're using the 'per-pixel land types' option.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support