L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Ok the noise deal is pissing me off

Got a problem or need advice?

Postby mauronen » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:26 am

Sorry for my ignorance Forboding Angel but...what is TA Spring?
mauronen
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:49 am

Last edited by Aaron on Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Okie dokie,

Following your map-making tutorial, I think I've found a way to change the methodology to eliminate the unsightly terracing problem. It basically comes down to not exporting the map from L3DT to PS/GIMP/etc and then re-importing it. I've added comments to your article in the wiki, which explains my proposed methodology: basically, use L3DT's re-sizing for the heightmap (it's 32-bit after all), and rather than use smoothing in an external image-processing program, try to smooth the design map instead, by setting the 'frac' and 'peak' roughness to zero for areas you want to smooth. I'm not sure this a really workable idea for making Spring maps, but it's closer to the whole L3DT-paradigm, which I understand a little bit better.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Forboding Angel » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:10 pm

I draw a lot of my heightmaps by hand. Those are the ones I have the most trouble with.

damn, I dunno what to do at this point :(

Also, keep in mind... the heightmap needs to be resized to the size of the texture map, which I only do in gimp because it has the best scaling. Beat's photoshop's image size routine quite soundly.
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Previous

Return to Help and support