L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

L3DTVi2, tiles and RAM

Please report software faults here.

L3DTVi2, tiles and RAM

Postby mauronen » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:10 am

Hi Aaron.
It's a long time that i wanted to aks this thing, but i ever forgot it. I don't know if is better to put this topic into Bug reports or Feature request, i try to put here.
When i launch L3DTVi2 with a tiled project it load first tile (probably in the middle of land) and use only a small amount of RAM. But when i fly around for a while it loads other tiles without unload the others and after some minutes it eats all RAM.
Maybe it could be better unload tiles that are not near, leaving in RAM only N,NW,W,SW,S,SE,E,NE tile as regard actual tile showed.
I've noted that your next release of L3DT v2.4 provides an upgraded L3DTVi2 version (i don't understood if you make the upgrade or receive upgrade by L3DTVi2 author).
Could be possible to add this upgrade (fix??) to next release?

Cheers.
Mauro.
mauronen
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:12 am

Hi Mauro,

I think you were right; this sounds more like a bug report than a feature request.

I don't understood if you make the upgrade or receive upgrade by L3DTVi2 author.

I'm the poor sod updating L3DTVi2 this time, so I'm back to reading pascal tutorials. The only thing holding me up at the moment is working out how to pass pointers to pointers through recursive functions, but I'm sure it can't be all that hard.

Maybe it could be better unload tiles that are not near, leaving in RAM only N,NW,W,SW,S,SE,E,NE tile as regard actual tile showed.

It's not that easy, I'm afraid. The map areas required in memory also depend on your camera distance and where you're looking, so using nearest neighbours is a no-go. What would work is to keep track of how long it has been since each tile was accessed, and dump them after a certain threshold. I might be able to hack this into the L3DTVi2 code, seeing as L3DT does it already.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports