L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Flooding Sea taking forever, normal?

Please report software faults here.

Flooding Sea taking forever, normal?

Postby Houndie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:09 am

Is there a reason flooding sea is taking days? I made a large map so I expected it to take a while, but its been going for almost 3 days now and the last two it seems stuck in the upper right corner..

Do I just leave it or has it become stuck? Or do i just not do the flooding when making a big map?
Houndie

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:31 am

Hi Houndie,

On past form I'd guess it's going to complete eventually, since I've never experienced nor heard of the flooding calculation becoming stuck in the four or so years it's been used unchanged. [Then again, there's always a first time...]

What map size are we talking about here, and how much spare disk space do you have?

If you like, I can try to reproduce this by re-running your map calculation on my system. To do this, please send me your project definition file (the 'YourProjectName.def.xml' file, to aaron@bundysoft.com).

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Houndie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Yea I dunno whats going on really but here it is day 4 and its still in the same area lol

the map is a 8192x8192 cut into 512 mosaics

Sent you the xml
Houndie

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi Houndie,

Thanks for the file. I'm running the calculation now.

I notice from the file that you'd enabled the 'flood lakes' option. Lake flooding is extremely slow, and looks a lot like the sea flooding routine. Are you sure it's not 'stopped' on the lake flooding step?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi Houndie,

Sea flooding took 50 seconds in my test. Now I'll set the lake-flooding to run to see how long it takes.

By the way, it's redundant to use both the water plane flooding option and the sea flooding option. You can save a small amount of time by running one or the other, but not both.

Cheerio,
Aaron.

Edit: Lake flooding tool a few seconds, because you had set the 'lakes' slider to zero in the design map parameters page. Did you edit the design map manually, by any chance?
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi Houndie,

Can you please send me the logfile (to aaron@bundysoft.com)? You can get it from the start menu under:

Start\All programs\Bundysoft\L3DT [version]\L3DT logs\

The logfile is called 'log.txt'.

With this logfile I should be able to work out what L3DT is actually doing.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Houndie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:27 am

Info sent
Houndie

Postby warren » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:51 am

I actually just had this exact same problem happen to me, I'm making a 16384x16384 map split into 512x512 mosaics, so I'm expecting stuff to take a while, but I have a pretty beefy quad core CPU doing the job and so far flooding the seas has taken longer than generating the height map. It also seems to be stuck in the corner doing the same tiles over and over again. I'm using a ratio of 32:1 instead of 64:1 for my design map, if that could be causing any problems.

Anyway, if you're still trying to track this bug down and need some more info, I can post my logs and stuff.
warren

Postby Aaron » Mon May 04, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Warren,

I apologise for my slow reply. Yes, I am still working to reproduce this bug, and I would greatly appreciate it if you could send the logfile (log.txt), the project file (.proj), and the map definition file (.def.xml) to aaron@bundysoft.com.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports