L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

CMapGroup::HF_GenMap error: - Unrecognised heightfield algo

Please report software faults here.

CMapGroup::HF_GenMap error: - Unrecognised heightfield algo

Postby Philippe Le Miere » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:16 am

Ok. Guess this bug report might be a follow on from my question posted in Help and Support regarding map resizing.

The steps I took where:

Created a Design map at 1024px, Horiz. scale 2, Mosaic map on and Tile size 512. Which gives a 2x2 mosaic, with World size: 2 km

Then set HF/DM ratio 64 (16 x 16 px)

Painted on the Design map, just adding various altitudes.

Calculated Heightfield.

With the Heightfield map active, went to Operations > Design map > Resize Design map.

Now. Basically doubled everything. Width/Height was set to 2048px. Horizontal scale reduced to 1 (so that we still have a World size of 2 km). And Tile Size set to 1024, so that it's still only splitting it up into a 2 x 2 mosaic.

Left the HF/DM ratio at 64, this time though giving a 32 x 32 px design map.

Presto ... scale then equals 19999999124047053000000km (and I'm not kidding!). Of course L3DT then crashes at this point with the "CMapGroup::HF_GenMap error: - Unrecognised heightfield algorithm" error.

In order to write this post, I actually repeated my steps, so am confident that this is reproducible.

Starting to feel like a little boy, who has just been given a new tool, but is constantly breaking it :wink:

Curious to know the rules about scaling maps and please feel welcome to throw in lots of under the hood explanation stuff.

Cheers,

Philippe
Philippe Le Miere
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:34 am

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the bug report. I've managed to reproduce this, but with variable results. I think some part of the wizard is corrupting memory. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:17 am

Hi Philippe,

The fix is included in L3DT 2.7 dev. build 4, which is on the downloads page now.

The problem was indeed memory corruption. The event handler for design map resizing was attempting to access data stored in the wizard panes after the wizard dialog had deleted the panes from memory when the window was closed. I have now stopped the wizard dialog from deleting panes until the dialog itself is destroyed. I had forgotten that the wizard dialog deleted panes when closed, as the justification for that particular behaviour ceased to be two or three years ago. I most uses of wizards it made no difference, so it was overlooked until now.

Anyway, thanks again for the bug report. Please don't hesitate to let me know if/when you find another.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Philippe Le Miere » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 am

Thanks Aaron,

Impeccable support, as always.

Have downloaded the latest build 4.

Done a quick rescale test and works like a charm!

Excellent. Better get back to working on my terrain.

Thanks again,

Philippe
Philippe Le Miere
Contributing member

Return to Bug reports