L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Invalid bitmap output

Please report software faults here.

Invalid bitmap output

Postby Aaron » Tue May 26, 2009 10:53 am

Hi All,

The bitmap plugin for L3DT is producing seemingly invalid files that cannot be read properly by all applications (works fine in Paint.exe, however. Go figure). I will include the fix in the next update, but in the mean time, I suggest you use the PNG or JPG formats. I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: Thanks to David for reporting this fault via e-mail.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Tue May 26, 2009 11:12 am

Quick follow-up:

The problem seems to be that, for heightfields only, the plugin is saving the files in 8-bit palletised greyscale bitmaps, and either it's doing it wrong, or the target applications don't support this (admittedly obscure) bitmap format.

So far the tally goes like this; paint.exe and Windows Picture Viewer (from Vista 64) can read the 8-bit bitmap files correctly, whereas Paint.NET, the GIMP, and IrfanView cannot.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Tue May 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi Everyone,

The problem was that the plugin was not accounting for the colour table size when writing the bitmap data offset in the file header. This has been fixed in the next release, which should be v2.7 build 15. If you don't wish to wait, you can download the updated plugin from here:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/plugins/bin/L3DTio_BigBitmap-bin.zip

NOTE: This plugin requires L3DT v2.7 build 14 or later, dated the 26th of May 2009. If you do not have this version, please update your installation of L3DT before attempting to use this updated plugin.

Further instructions on updating plugins are given on this page.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby David Walters » Fri May 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks for fixing this one -- I changed my own importer to use BMP files and the bottom row was broken -- not any more!
David Walters
Doyen

Return to Bug reports