L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Alphamaps not exported to 8bit bmp or png

Please report software faults here.

Alphamaps not exported to 8bit bmp or png

Postby Hypnotron » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:16 pm

Seems to me that alphamaps exporting start to experience problems (particularly with png) when you try to export them to 8bit files.

1) 8 bit bitmaps throw an exception.
L3DTio_SaveImage_FI error
- unsupported FI type for BYTE

calc_TX_GenSplatAlphaMaps error
- Failed to save image file

2) 8 bit png doesnt give an error, but the alphas are not visible in any program including dxtex.exe (directx texture tool located in the dx SDK\Utilities\Bin\x86 directory) even when clicking the View alpha channel only option.
Hypnotron
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:31 am

Hi Mike,

Whoops. I changed image libraries with the latest beta-release, and it looks like I forgot to fix-up some parts of the alpha map code. I'll fix this in the next beta. In the mean-time you might want to revert to v2.3d, which should work properly.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:36 pm

Hello again,

Okie dokie, I've worked this one out. FreeImage (the lib I use now) saves 8-bit PNG/BMPs as palettised images, but I hadn't been setting that palette before saving the image. This is partly because CxImage/libpng (the libs I used previously) didn't behave in this manner, and partly because I didn't read the docs before using the lib (Who needs docs when there's a header file?). The fix will be included in the next beta-release.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports