L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Sapphire crash

Please report software faults here.

Sapphire crash

Postby mcbeth » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:04 pm

installed 2 of 2.7 builds today and both crash with a windows error message when I try to go to 3d mode, it says a log is being created where are these logs stored and will it even be useful, also I'm on win2k haven't tested it on XP yet.

everything still worked on a old 2.6 build I had installed and 2.7 seem to load the old file just fine just wont go into 3d mode.

will test on XP when I get time to ensure that is not an issue on my end
mcbeth
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:31 am

Hi McBeth,

Can you please send me L3DT's logfile? (to aaron@bundysoft.com) You can get to it from the start menu under 'All programs->Bundysoft->L3DT [version]->L3DT log file'. The logfile includes some system diagnostics that might help me trace why Sapphire is crashing on your system.

Also, could I ask you to download and run the GLView OpenGL extension viewer by realtech VR? This program thoroughly evaluates the system's OpenGL support and produces a nice report. It may help greatly if you could run this program and post the report here. I've written a little guide on using GLView in the wiki here.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mcbeth » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:49 pm

email sent, my vid card (6600gt) or processor has been causing freezing when playing intense 3d apps lately, Quake3 being the only game that won't freeze, but I use blender and the jme game engine and while I cant run my jme code for long intervals, for fear of freezing, they at least start ,sapphire doesn't start and takes l3dt with it
mcbeth
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:18 am

Hi McBeth,

Thanks for the logs.

May I ask you to run the OpenGL extension viewer again, then select the 'rendering tests' tab, press the play button, and tell me what framerate your card scored on the OpenGL 1.5 test and the OpenGL 2.0 test? These numbers are not, unfortunately, included in the log, but they may help in understanding what's going wrong in this case.

Can I also ask you to load your terrain map in L3DT, then select the 'Scripts->Sapphire debug' menu item, and describe what happens? This script should open and close Sapphire several times, each time with a different rendering module enabled. It may help in determining which element of the rendering failed.

These sorts of errors are usually associated with faulty drivers, but in this case it seems your OpenGL drivers are up to date. However, if your card is unstable when running other applications, that may be the problem.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mcbeth » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:36 pm

the debug script crashes l3dt as well, my 2.6 build works well enough though

your frames rates

1.5 1749 passed 1440*900*75

2.0 1184 passed 1440*900*75

2.1 82 passed 1440*900*75
mcbeth
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi McBeth,

I apologise for the inconvenience caused by this ongoing saga. It is unfortunate (in a strange manner of thinking) that no-one else is experiencing this bug, since it makes it rather more difficult to find what is the common element that is causing the crash.

Anyway, I have uploaded a new build of Sapphire in the latest developmental build of L3DT Pro (v2.7 build 24). This version has an additional debugging mode that will step through the Sapphire initialisation process and should, I hope, allow us to determine precisely which stage is causing the application to crash on your system. Please download and install this version (consult reg/sales e-mail for link), and then in L3DT select the 'Extensions->Sapphire->Renderer settings' menu item. In the settings window, double click on the 'UI->ShowDebugMessages' item to set it to true. Then run Sapphire. If/when it crashes, please send me the the logfile for L3DT v2.7 build 24.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mcbeth » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:41 pm

never got arround to getting a pro license, (not a fan of credit cards) and already used up my trial request 1/2 years+ ago. recently decided to import a new laptop though so the credit card situation will have to change................I would imagine......., this will surely be on the to buy list.
mcbeth
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi McBeth,

Okay, here is the updated standard edition installer:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/standard/dev/L3DT_SE_dev-2.7.0.25.exe

Please let me know how it goes with the debugging flag set in Sapphire.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mcbeth » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:09 pm

aaron wrote:Hi McBeth,

Okay, here is the updated standard edition installer:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/standard/dev/L3DT_SE_dev-2.7.0.25.exe

Please let me know how it goes with the debugging flag set in Sapphire.

Best regards,
Aaron.

Strange thing, now no crash, the fist 2 builds 2.7.0.18/19 still crash though are u still interested in the log
mcbeth
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:44 am

Hi McBeth,

McBeth wrote:are u still interested in the log?

No, it's alright. Since no-one else has reported any such problems with v2.7, I think this bug is specific to your system, such as an instability of hardware and/or drivers on certain code paths*. With that in mind, I don't think there will be much point in expending further effort on this problem, as it's now working on your system.

Anyway, thanks for the the bug report, and especially for running the tests and sending the logs.

Best regards,
Aaron.

* this hypothesis is also supported by the 'freezing' you reported in other 3D apps, which ain't right.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports