L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Serious Mosaic / disk-paging bug

Please report software faults here.

Serious Mosaic / disk-paging bug

Postby Hypnotron » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:59 pm

There's something very wrong about how this is working. The short version is, it results in completely unusable results. There's a link to a screenshot below, otherwise its hard to describe so I just wrote the simple steps to repro:

- file\new
- design/inflate
- x = 16 : y = 16
- heightfield resolution = 10 (1024x1024)
- check use disk-drive paging
- set tile size to 64 (16x16)
- NOTE the design map is created
- click next
- note save project as dialog appears. give it a name and save
- NOte the following errors:
CMosaicMap::LoadSubMap_HFF error
mismatch in horiz scale
Setting mosaic scale to sub-map scale

- NOTE: the appearance of the heightfield in the main l3dt window:
http://apr28.imghost.us/npqtnp.jpg

- NOTE: clicking next to generate watermap continues with similar image only with blue dots instead of red.

- NOTE: When exporting the heightfield, the individual heightmap tiles are all solid gray.
Hypnotron
Contributing member

Postby Hypnotron » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:41 pm

The ability to specify the mosaic sizes is really great and I only wish I'd found out sooner since i coulda posted this bug sooner :oops:

Any chance on a quick fix? Alot of the code i was writing to automate this is pretty much moot now, but not until the bug is fixed. :D
Hypnotron
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:38 am

Hi Hypnotron,

I'm not sure whether a quick-fix is possible or not - I can't reproduce this bug on my system, and it hasn't been seen before.

Can you please run some tests for me?

1) Try again with the map saved in a directory in root (eg C:\tempmap\). The current release of L3DT beta has one wonky path-processing function.
2) Try to make the map with a different tile-size, say 256.
3) Try to use a different file format for the heightfield (go to 'File->Preferences', then 'Heightfield->TER (TerraGen)' and select 'Use format' and 'Set default').

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Hypnotron » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:52 pm

Hey Aaron,
Yeah, the path was the problem. I was saving my work to a directory that contained ".net" in it and sure enough it doesnt like that dot.

So i'm no longer getting any errors during generation of any of the maps... though im still in the process of testing the appearance of the heightmaps and textures when i get them loaded into my program.

But so far I do see a strange grayish 1pixel border along the right and bottom edges of all the exported mosaic heightmap tiles, the texturemaps and the bitmap alpha maps. For the texturemaps I tried to set the Active Map\Duplicate Tile Borders and re-exported and that didnt work. For these tests I'm still using the 64 pixel mosaic size resulting in 16x16 grid of tiles.

I'll update this when I know more.
-Mike
Hypnotron
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:26 am

Hi Mike,

Hypnotron wrote:Yeah, the path was the problem. I was saving my work to a directory that contained ".net" in it and sure enough it doesn’t like that dot.

Cool. That bug is fixed in the next beta, which should be ready this week or next.

Hypnotron wrote:But so far I do see a strange grayish 1pixel border along the right and bottom edges of all the exported mosaic heightmap tiles, the texturemaps and the bitmap alpha maps.

Do these grey pixels exist when you open the map tiles in PhotoShop/Paint/etc? I can't see them myself.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Hypnotron » Sun May 07, 2006 3:58 pm

Just as an update... I originally thought there was something wrong with the mosaic tiles... but as it turns out, I was fooled by the naming scheme for the mosaics.

The mosaic files are named x0 to xN increasing left to right, but the y's are yN to y0 decreasing top to bottom.

I found this a bit counter intuitive since i tend to associate 0,0 as top left when dealing with image files and so was expecting the y values to increase top to bottom. But now that i understand, no problemo. :)

After this next very big map is generated, ill be able to verify all this once and for all :)
Hypnotron
Contributing member

Return to Bug reports