L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Beta 2 Climate bug

Please report software faults here.

Beta 2 Climate bug

Postby DeathTwister » Wed May 17, 2006 1:41 pm

Morning Aaron,

Ok, I have been trying to see if it was me or not in part of some of the climate bug, but in the end I have just decided to post this with a actual view of the problem.

Before I show you what problem there is let me explain what I did to get there first. I downloaded the new update for PRO BETA 2, installed it and then copied all my textures and climates in there proper folders, then I went back into the program. When I tried to open my last project I got a message that the climates I had been using L3DT could not find and defaulted to your basic climate. So I went in and re-added the climates in the climate duologue box and then went back out and came back in. Same trouble it could not see the climates I have made, in this case 3 of them and defaulted to the basic climate again. Humm, i go to myself, so how do I get my climates back now???? humm.. So I went back to the Design map and then went in and applied just the climate to the whole map, and then regenerated everything again and then I could save and then open and close with no error duologue going off. Woot I thought maybe I got it and it did look pretty good from the texture map view. But when I brought it into the L3DT viewer I got my climate to not exactly be what I had made before. The textures are not blending like they did in Beta 1 version as you can see.

Question:
How can I adjust the texture blending some in Beta 2, to get it to blend again like I had it before in the Beta 1 version? or should I wait for a fix if it is not me?? That is why you need to look at the textures I guess /smiles. Sorry to be a pain Aaron :roll:

As you can see the blending is pretty good and I was getting close to something I was going to export out, until I saw..

And now you can see the the textures are not blending quite as good and I am not sure if it was because I had other climates underneath the final one I decided on and there was some layering? going on I didn't know about? or if the climate I did apply had somehow changed in some way. So I am not sure what is going on really, err Doh sorry.

Going to try and make a new one and see if I get the same kinda texture separation in the new one that I was getting with this one. Did anyone else have the same trouble with the climates that you guys made also? or was it just me?

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Re: Beta 2 Climate bug

Postby Aaron » Thu May 18, 2006 1:10 am

Hi DeathTwister,

DeathTwister wrote:Before I show you what problem there is let me explain what I did to get there first. I downloaded the new update for PRO BETA 2, installed it and then copied all my textures and climates in there proper folders, then I went back into the program...So I went in and re-added the climates in the climate duologue box and then went back out and came back in.

Yeah, L3DT doesn't auto-detect climates - you have to load them manually.

If you've got lots of custom climates that you don't want to lose between upgrades, I recommend you move the entire 'Resources' directory out of the L3DT installation directory, and redirected the link in L3DT using the 'Settings->File paths' option (set 'L3DT->Resources' to point to the new dir). This way, multiple installations of L3DT can share the same texture/climate directory, and you don't have to copy and re-load climates when you uninstall/reinstall. Hmmm…I should probably write a note on this in the documentation…

DeathTwister wrote:When I tried to open my last project I got a message that the climates I had been using L3DT could not find and defaulted to your basic climate.

I can't remember if I was simply being lazy, or if there was a good reason for this, but when you load the old map group files in the beta-release(s), the climate list can't be translated. I wasn’t super-concerned with backwards compatibility with these beta-releases, but perhaps I should have another look at this now.

DeathTwister wrote:so how do I get my climates back now???? humm.. So I went back to the Design map and then went in and applied just the climate to the whole map, and then regenerated everything again and then I could save and then open and close with no error duologue going off.

Yup, you guessed the right method (again, I should document this somewhere…). When you save/load maps in the new beta-releases, they use the PROJ format instead of MGF, and the climate list is read properly (thus no errors).

DeathTwister wrote:Woot I thought maybe I got it and it did look pretty good from the texture map view. But when I brought it into the L3DT viewer I got my climate to not exactly be what I had made before. The textures are not blending like they did in Beta 1 version as you can see.

The edges between land types are sharper in the latest image, yes? Perhaps you could try disabling the ‘per-pixel land types’ option in the texture settings wizard. It looks like you didn’t have this option enabled in the old image. Either that, or the texture-resolution is different - your later shot may be at at a higher TX/HF ratio.

DeathTwister wrote:And now you can see the textures are not blending quite as good and I am not sure if it was because I had other climates underneath the final one I decided on and there was some layering?

No layering – L3DT isn’t that advanced, yet.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Thu May 18, 2006 3:20 pm

Hay Aaron,

Woot..
Aaron Wrote:
The edges between land types are sharper in the latest image, yes? Perhaps you could try disabling the ‘per-pixel land types’ option in the texture settings wizard. It looks like you didn’t have this option enabled in the old image. Either that, or the texture-resolution is different - your later shot may be at at a higher TX/HF ratio.

ahh, yes that was it as I had to many land types before and I had to disable the pixel per land type, and after I had just one in the climate editor I could use the pixel per land type. Thankies bro, it was me after all. I had a feeling I had something to do with it, /chuckles to self. At least now I understand the pixel per land type better. Now I can use it to my advantage../wry smile.

Aaron Wrote:
I can't remember if I was simply being lazy, or if there was a good reason for this, but when you load the old map group files in the beta-release(s), the climate list can't be translated. I wasn’t super-concerned with backwards compatibility with these beta-releases, but perhaps I should have another look at this now.

ah, I see. Humm, I have a request then maybe? You had a few climates from before, Artic (Still have), lunar, and one other Volcanic/Arid I believe in your old climates that I thought were pretty good. Maybe put them back in again? I am going to make a volcanic and Lunar ones as well for peeps, but yours was a hoot, and was pretty good. Not sure why you took them out???

Hay Aaron thanks a ton for the advice bro. You are so right on, GOD I love Ausies /winks.....I want to come visit ya one day soon and check the land down under.

PS: I will bring my Mountain bike, the carbon fiber one, 17 pounds of pure terror and is named DeathTwister. That was how I got that handle originally, riding bikes. I would love to go texture hunting in your country just for that alone... :roll: HAha what a :idea: . You answered everything thanks again.

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Bug reports