L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

A bit more info

Please report software faults here.

A bit more info

Postby ddougher » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:07 am

My result seems similar but I approached it from a different path. Here are the steps I tried and the result I got.

1. Imported a 8192x8192 RAW file as a Design map.
2. Made some changes to mark terrain as desert, Arctic and added a volcano
3. Set the terrain to be quadrupled in size - 16384 by 16384 and mosaic with a tile size of 4096 instead of 512.
4. Tried to generate the terrain from the design map.

The system created the first tile - 4096 by 4096 - however, as soon as the first tile finished generation the process ended. Also, an examination of the single tile that was created in the temp file revealed that it was actually a miniature of the entire terrain inistead of being 1/8 of an expanded version.

So it looks like the mosiac is shrinking the terrain instead of expanding it and when it runs out of terrain after the first pass it is ending without an error or setting the process to completed.

Hope this helps in tracking down the bug
ddougher

Postby ddougher » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:10 am

Sorry intended this to be appended to the end of hypnotron's heightfield bug but it got marked as a new post.
ddougher

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:41 am

Hi David,

Thanks for the additional info. This looks like I'm passing an invalid argument to the 'InflateMosaic' routine, which I'll be able to fix after work today.

As for the miniature tile - this is supposed to happen. The heightfield starts-out the same size as the design-map and is progressively 'inflated' to larger sizes whilst effects such as erosion and cliffs are applied. Thus the first temporary swap-map is quite tiny.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports