L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Big Texture bug

Please report software faults here.

Big Texture bug

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:50 pm

Hay all,

Humm, big bug on the climate editor I think. It took me awhile to run it down, like 4 hours as I thought it was me for the first 3 hours when I found it. Ok here is what happens to me so far anyway.

I brought up my Volcanic Climate to use and select and put the Climate on the Design map and all went good through all the steps getting to the texture and so on. OK, so now I wanted to change the textures on the climate to get a better over all texture for this particular project I had in mind. That is where it all started to fall apart.

I went in and found the Strata tab (WOOT) and the extra layer we can now add textures, OMG WTG Dude. But when I tried to select textures and make them work the code in the Texture drop down got all messed up. I was trying to generate a light map and texture and it was crashing very fast, the light map or texture would not generate and get all kinds of errors.
So I went back in and took out all the new textures and strata maps and tried to put it all back the way it had been. Nope, it crashed again and again :cry: By this time I am going WTF Watson????? so I went back in and noticed that the name of the texture is showing in the selector box like 2 times that I could see, so I think that is giving errors and crashing L3DT. I have an error log, but I am pretty sure if other Peeps try this it will do the same. We can use Climates as they are, but can't effect any changes to them without them going blewy.

Oh, I did go to the last version and double check my findings before posting this. I took the volcanic climate from the older version and put it back in the new one and all was good again, until I tried to just change one file and then back to the bug. :cry: :cry:

On the up side, your Strata and the new can add extra Texture layers is totally awesome and cant wait to be able to actually use it. Looks alot like the Terragen idea I have been working with, WAY TO GO BRO, your the man.
Help Mr. Wizerd Aaron /chuckles.........

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:27 pm

Hi DeathTwister,

I mentioned in the release announcement for beta3 that the texture/bump-map filenames in 'old' climate files were broken by the latest changes. These changes were such that I couldn't write a general-case converter from old climates to new, so you need to manually re-set the texture filenames for your custom-made climates (I've done all the standard ones already, of course). You were *supposed* to be able to do this via the climate editor, but if that's not working then it looks like there's a bug.

Can you e-mail me (or post a link to) your climate?

DeathTwister wrote:But when I tried to select textures and make them work the code in the Texture drop down got all messed up.

Can you please post a screenshot of this?

DeathTwister wrote:I was trying to generate a light map and texture and it was crashing very fast, the light map or texture would not generate and get all kinds of errors.

When you say "crashing very fast" do you mean L3DT was actually terminating (i.e. exiting to desktop), or was it just spewing errors? Can you post (or e-mail me) the error log please?

DeathTwister wrote:I went back in and noticed that the name of the texture is showing in the selector box like 2 times that I could see...

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. A screenshot would help here too.

DeathTwister wrote:We can use Climates as they are, but can't effect any changes to them without them going blewy.

Can you edit the 'standard' climates (e.g. 'arctic', 'desert', 'temperate')? If you can't, then I agree. If you can, then it's just a matter of hacking your climates into shape for beta3.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:38 pm

OK have to go to town. BUT, Will post all you ask as soon as I get back. And I will try changing the ones you have first to see if it gets foobarred, then screens and all. OK post inc soon.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:31 pm

OK going out the door now,

But....
Hay all,

Ok what I thought/thinking was/is/maybe a bug may not be, but Im in need to be able to read again the docs on the release??, and as far as I can see it has disapiered on me, the link shows nothing in the dir at all for me anyway. something about the dir needing a re-Point? ack....... :?

yes I am confused, DOH. when I brought the climates over form the other dir I had made they worked great untill I tried to edit them. I seem to be able to edit the ones of yours Aaron, I think, but when I look in the selection box it does look weird and will post screens when I get back from town. Ok thanks for the help and I will get back. Dumb artist sometimes are a pain in the you know where arent they Aaron?? /chuckles.
I do need that link that seems to not be there now for me anyway.

DT

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:52 pm

Hay Aaron,

OK about this bug, at least I think it is a bug. I will go through the process here to share what I did. First off I installed the newest Beta and build to make sure I was up to date. I then copy/pasted the climate Volcanic into the resources part where the climates are kept, until the dir selector under settings file paths is fixed in final version.

I then opened the project file I wanted and with the "map pencil brush" I selected just the climate and the climate I wanted and said apply to all. Ok then I generated my maps Light, texture and the rest and all went well. Up until now I have not had to edit anything and I think from what I was reading in the release notes is all I should have to do? I think so,anyway it seemed to be Ok, until I wanted to edit it.

So for this I will just replace 2 graphics/_bump file in the Snow selection of the Volcanic Climate. Then will take a screen shot of the select a file dialog box before and after.

What is should look like I think.

What it looks like after I get a new texture selection.

Again the same thing with Texture 2

And the same kinda double addressing is there again in the new box. That just dont look right to me somehow.

Ok, now I will regenerate all the steps again after I apply all in the design map area again. It will generate a Height field OK, and Attributes, Terrain Normals, go just fine until we get to generating a light map and it starts kinda hinky as it kinda goes blink blink many 20 times real fast, then starts to do the light map render, then the light map calculator just crashes and not L3DT like I may have implied before, oops didn't mean that Aaron, just the Light map and texture calculator are foo-barred here with this build. I can make changes in Beta 2 ok, but not this one.

And this is the errors I am getting from my little adventure. Do I have to remake all my _bump files again that I have made? I am not sure what I am missing here if it is me???? On a final note. I was looking at the error log and I notice that it is looking for the textures in the actual L3DT dir, but I have my main bank of textures in my Resources folder in a different area. Now that shouldn't matter, but maybe if you have the file paths not working in the L3DT directory ATM, I a getting my error? It shouldn't though, I don't think it should make a diference? It sure dont seem to be seeing my textures though.

Climate changes from the wiki:
The down-side of these changes is that the file-paths in old climates are broken. If you have any custom-made climates, you will need to manually re-set the correct file paths. While you’re at it, it might be a good idea to create a new directory for each climate (see the examples provided) and copy the relevant textures into those directories, thereby making your climates readily ‘portable’.

Am I missing a step? I thought I had it all right? It was working as long as I didn't try and edit the climate, or is this a bug like I thought? I will email you my climate with the changes if you still need me to Aaron, but this may be enough. I hope this helps find the critter if one is afoot.

DT:twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:15 am

Hi DT,

Yup, that's a bug. Fix coming shortly.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:07 am

Hi DT,

I've uploaded a new build that should fix the double-filename problem (now v2.4.0.10). Thanks for the screenshots, they helped greatly.

Oh, and following up on my previous question, when you reported L3DT was 'crashing', was it:
  • actually crashing to the desktop (L3DT exits), or;
  • throwing error messages and stopping whatever it was doing, without exiting.
As far as a programmer is concerned there is a world of difference between the two, and I am most interested to find out which of these you encountered.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:31 pm

Hay aaron,

OOH sorry no L3DT did not crash, just the Light calculater is all inside it, sorry bout that, thought I said something. and sometimes the texture calculater would crash inside as well, (same bug I am sure) but L3DT was fine, just a part or 2 inside.
ack just woke up, need coffee.....arrg/. Woo Hoo I will go download a new version and play some this morning.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:43 pm

Hay Aaron,

Quick update:

Yup, yup that fixed it Aaron and thankies very very much. WOW is that a fun toy now. I just through in a bunch of various Textures in the Strata box area and added a new layer in the Grass texture to test all the new features and I got this on the fly:

Wow that was a bit much, but very cool at the same time. With some thought this is a killer feature.

Next I made 3 new textures in L3DT by changing the volcanic Climate 3 times with new textures here and there and then brought them into Terragen and added the new textures to the mapping in both overlays and the strata as well. This is what I got in Terragen with the added overlays. I used 5+3=8 textures in different ways to get this effect on the cliffs. So yes it is working now and this is one happy camper I am.

This is with all the overlays I did together. I'll end up making more maps in Terragen I am pretty sure and then layering them back into L3DT and for mapping in TSE and TGE. I will post 2 more over on another post to show what I was talking about there and finish up 2 posts at once :wink:

Now I am having an issue or 2, but I am not certain as to what it is. Mainly the terrain Height seems to be a bit different then the original one I had made the .ter file for. But now no way to go back and check my findings so I will just adjust the height field some to more reflect what it was before.
Those shots were remakes of the ScorpiousMons series I have posted in here for the record and look allot different now from what it used to look like. Not sure in Beta 3 did that or not, but it does seem to look different from what I had in Beta 2 is all. Think you said some of the newness would be a bit different, and Is and I see the differences here and there.

2 other screens pictures on this blog here to show the power of the new build:
http://www.bundysoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1164#1164

Ok that ends this bug report from the old Twister and hope I no run into any more to post :wink:

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Bug reports