L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Viewer crashing in full release of 2.4 viewer

Please report software faults here.

Viewer crashing in full release of 2.4 viewer

Postby DeathTwister » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi there,

Every time I try to use the viewer in the new release it crashes. I try and load any file into it and it locks up saying out of memery, and keeps sayimng that untill I control/alt/delete my way out of the app. Unless it is a 64 bit bug, it is crashing every time. Just locks up saying out of memery at least 10 times and can't get out any other way but control/alt/delete.
Since I am running with a Gig of ram atm, I really don't think my memory should be running out any time soon ROTFL............with just openinmg a L3DT file omg...............

Other then that so far looks great what I have played with, but it's looking like other peeps have found a bug or 2 as well :cry: .

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby SeerBlue » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:22 pm

I did a test to see if the viewer crashes here as well, 512 terrains with 4x texture opens fine, but 4097 with 8x tex gives a out of memory error, that is with 2 gig memory,, 1.5 available at start of the viewer, I have never tried using the viewer on a 4097 terrain so I don't know if I could before. I will go back and do it again when my render finishes to get the error code, I had it as a screen cap, but forgot to save it. I can also try it on an older version. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:21 am

Hello,

L3DTVi2 is still working fine for me. (I just tested a fresh install on a new 'puter.)

The most likely cause of a crash on loading, including spurious out-of-memory problems, is the use of unsupported formats. L3DTVi2 can only load maps with the following formats:
  • HFF for heightfield (in 2-byte integer mode)
  • jpg/bmp for texture.
L3DTVi2 doesn't check if the wrong format is used, and will try to load a TER file as a HFF (for example), which is why the memory usage explodes.

Can you send me, or post here, a copy of your project file? (.proj)

SeerBlue wrote:but 4097 with 8x tex gives a out of memory error, that is with 2 gig memory

If I read that correctly, you would need in excess of 4 gigs of RAM for a texture that size (without disk-paging). An 8x texture for a 4096-ish terrain is ~32k x 32k in size (1 billion pixels). At 4 bytes per pixel for textures, that's 4GB. If disk-paging was used, then the problem in L3DTVi2 is probably an excessively high view-distance, which requires it to load too much into RAM at one time. I can probably hack together enough Delphi to reduce the default view-distance to a safe level.

SeerBlue wrote:I can also try it on an older version.

Thanks, but that shouldn't be necessary. There haven't been any changes to L3DTVi2 for nearly a year.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby SeerBlue » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:14 am

Mine was memory ran out, I did some tests with other terrains/textures and I just exceeded what this computer can handle. Otherwise, everything is working good. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:18 pm

Humm,

OK maybe the viewer does not like a 64 bit system? but mine crashes every time saying out of memery. I will try later after I get back from town an older viewer as well to see if that is it, but it may be for me anyway a operating system bug since it is older tech? maybe.
The map I was using to try and open was a 1024 20m map was all. Texture was at 4096. But I have oppened others like that just fine. So as of now untill I do a few more tests looks like L3DT works just fine in 64 bit, the jury is still out on the viewer.
Thanks for getting back on this Aaron, I'll see what I can do and see if an older version crashes as well, that should help me find if it is me or you. Getting ready to go out the door now though to go testing.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Bug reports