L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Blank preview images

Please report software faults here.

Blank preview images

Postby Hypnotron » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:44 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to get better at designing maps so i'm startng with small ones just til I get comfortable with being able to control what types of geographical features are produced from various design map operations.

However, for some reason I'm getting alot of blank representations of the various map stages. Ive been using the following settings for these test maps:

- Design/Inflate (blank)
- X/Y 16/16
- Heightfield Resolution 1m
- no paging nor edge wrapping

Now with teh blank design map, i open the pencil tool and i select

Alt -50 absolute
Fractal absolute very low
Special Overlay Type Sea Seed

Apply to all

Then I set alt 70 relative
Keep erossion and fractal where its at
Special Overlays type Normal
Then i basically draw an island in the middle of the water with at least two sea blocks all around it. (i.e no part of the island touches the edge of the map)

Then i set the alt to 20 relative and i just build up the center of the island. Then I increase the alt to 100 relative and add a mountain range and finally I add a single volcano ontop of one of the previous mountain blocks in the middle of the map also at 100 relative.

Then i save, and next my way through the rest using the default settings.

For some reason the images dont always show up. If I generate preview on the heightmap then proceed it seems to kick out of it.

but assuming i dont do that, if i make it to the texture map and scroll my mouse wheel to zoom in, after several zooms it finally renders but zooming out again makes it all disappear.

If i save the texture map it does export to jpg just fine.

Im getting a crash in the 3d viewer program but i'm not sure if maybe I need to reboot or something since it was working earlier... i think. :)

-Hypnotron
Hypnotron
Contributing member

Re: Blank preview images

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:10 am

Hi Hypnotron,

Hmm...that sounds weird. I've not seen this before, and I don't think it's been reported before. Some more info might help: Does it change things if you re-size the window? How about minimising or maximising? Does it affect other map sizes? Which maps does it affect/not affect (texture, light-map, etc)?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Hypnotron » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:45 am

Hey Aaron,

Lets just call this one a false alarm. I had a dead instance of adobe acroreader in memory as well as a devenv.exe (vs.net 2005) dead but still in process. After rebooting and doing exactly as described above, no more problems. I think this also explains why the viewer was crashing since it too now works.

Sorry for the false alarm.
-Mike
Hypnotron
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:16 am

Hi Mike,

Ah, no worries. I think it's good sometimes to document 'not bugs' such as this, so that users who encounter a similar problem will know what to do.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby JavaJones » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:29 am

Acrobat Reader is evil. :D Foxit is where it's at. Unless you need form filling (Foxit 2.0 for that).

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Return to Bug reports