L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Export Selected Area Error

Please report software faults here.

Export Selected Area Error

Postby chieling » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:00 am

I made a T3D ready map and tried to Export a section of the map and i got the following error

CMainFrame::OnFileExportSelection error:
- cannot retrieve function 'atExportArea.ExtExportAreaUI'

Any ideas?
chieling
Contributing member

Re: Export Selected Area Error

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi Chieling,

Thanks for the bug report. This bug is related to the “great renaming” that occurred in the plugin API and extension functions right around v2.9 dev build 1, in which a great many functions were changed, deprecated or renamed for simplicity, consistency and neatness. Evidently, I missed updating some references to functions, as is the case here. The “atExportArea.ExtExportAreaUI” function call should be “UI.ExportArea.ExportAreaUI”. I’ve fixed the bug for the next dev build (11.07 build 29), which should be available tomorrow.

Thanks again for the bug report.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby chieling » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:19 am

would there be any way that this can work for T3D also? I know that you said the tiled maps wont work with T3D but i was curious if this might.
chieling
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi Chieling,

The ‘export selected area’ feature is not really the place to support a complex combined-map format like TER. As it’s currently implemented, the ‘export selected area’ feature is just meant for exporting an area of a single map layer; say a bit of the texture, or the heightfield, or an alpha map, but not more than one layer at a time. The TER format combines several map layers, heightfield, attributes map, alpha maps, and the texture map (as a separate DDS), and also requires a number of custom interfaces to allow users to edit the additional settings required for a TER file (material libraries, T3D paths, etc.). Rather than try to hack the ‘export selected area’ option to fit TER, it would be better and easier to change the ‘Export T3D’ option to support selected areas.

However, one fly in the ointment is that Torque TER files must be a power-of-two in size. This means that you can’t export just any selected area; you have to be awfully precise in selecting your area to produce a valid TER file. I can help enforce tile sizes here by building an interface where you enter the west & south edge coordinates and then pick a valid tile size (256, 512, 1024, 2048), and indeed I’ll put that on the to-do list now. However, that’s not going to be implemented until after the next release, as I’ve frozen the feature list and I’m only fixing bugs from now until release date.

Anyway, thanks for the request.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports