L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Out of memory

Please report software faults here.

Out of memory

Postby Empire-Phoenix » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi, with the newest development build I get frequent out of memory errors, with settings that seems to work with the latest stable release. I don't know what is causing this, however it seems like a memory leak, cause the error displays that it uses 1,5gb ram and reaches the 32bit application limit i assume. Could that have something to do with the newly added tilecaching when ram is free? Since my computer has 16 gb ram there always is much free, and maybee it does not take the 32bit limitation into account?

EDIT:
Correction also happens with the older build :|

The Project folder as it was after the crash, maybee something usefull for you in here.
http://nh-game.net/ter.7z

Sidequestion, I don't know how much L3dt is prepared for this, but is a 64bit build possible? While not solving the Problem, it would be at least possible to go way around it (worst case several gigabyte pagefile, but better than a crash after some hours of generating)
Empire-Phoenix

Re: Out of memory

Postby Aaron » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:22 am

Hi Empire-Phoenix,

Thanks for your bug report. I think you're probably right; this looks like the tile cache manager is not properly measuring the RAM ceiling. I had tested this and found it to work, but evidently my testing did not go far enough. I'll test it again using your settings.

I'll also modify the map allocator so that when an allocation fails, it calls the cache manager to drop tiles and then tries again.

Sidequestion, I don't know how much L3dt is prepared for this, but is a 64bit build possible

Yes, it's in alpha testing. I'll send you a link to the installer once I've built in a fix for the above issue.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Empire-Phoenix » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:39 am

Made some further testing, the bug mostly accures in the erosion calculations, but rarely elsewhere in the programm. might be taht the erosion uses much tiles due to being done in multiple round?
Empire-Phoenix

Postby Aaron » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Empire-Phoenix,

I'm still working on a fix. In the mean time, it may help if you use a tile size in the heightfield generator of 512, instead of 4096. Memory allocation fails more readily with large tile sizes than with small tile sizes due to memory fragmentation.

FYI: I'm leaning towards removing from future versions of L3DT the tile size control in the calculation wizards, and instead use a safe default. Larger tile sizes will be allowed only on export, where they can't cause as much damage.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Empire-Phoenix,

A new build is available on the Pro downloads page that should fix this out-of-memory problem (L3DT 11.09 build 3). Please let me know if this problem persists, and thank you for the bug report.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Empire-Phoenix » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Seems to work now with that change, thanks
Empire-Phoenix

Return to Bug reports