L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Export then Import Design Map

Please report software faults here.

Export then Import Design Map

Postby Trips » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:08 am

I have a continent size map and want to create a more detailed local map. To do that, I selected the interesting area of the continent map, exported the selected area. Then, I created a new project and attempted to import the DMF file I just exported. To my surprise, DMF is not a supported format (why?). However, following on the advice of this post:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=935

I simply created a new project and replaced that project's DMF file with the one I just exported, paying attention to ensure the same DMF size.

The bottom half (roughly) of the design map displays perfectly, but the top of the design map displays in black. Also, I get an error message

CL3DTView::GetPixelColour error:
- type-specific GetColour call failed

CL3DTView::RedrawBufferRegion error:
- cannot get pixel colour

The project is attached. I'm using the now-current version 11.11.
Attachments
First Lands.zip
(8.44 KiB) Downloaded 1103 times
Trips

Re: Export then Import Design Map

Postby Aaron » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Trips,

Thanks for the bug report. I can't immediately say what's gone wrong or how to work around it, since this problem is seldom encountered and hence occurs in code that has not been sprinkled in error checking or debugging statements. I have however reproduced the fault, so time permitting I should be able to look into this in the next week or so. I apologise for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

To answer your why? question: import of the DMF file format was not originally supported because there was no demand from users; no other program could export that format. Obviously, that argument doesn't cover the case of users wanting to re-import design maps from L3DT, but that happens surprisingly infrequently - two requests in 8 years. Nonetheless, I will put this on the to-do list for the next release.

As it happens, the DMF format doesn't include certain important design map settings (horizontal scale, wrapping flags, climate lists, etc.), which are instead read from the map definition file. This means that the DMF format is not a fully self-contained description of a design map, so is not suitable to be imported by itself. However, in the next release the DMF will finally be replaced by a new data format that includes all relevant information, and this format will permit the export and re-import of the design map. If the fates smile upon my endeavours, I may be able to get a developmental build of this out for testing before Christmas. Otherwise, it should be available early in the new year. Whatever the outcome, I'll post back here when there's something ready to test.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Trips » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:30 am

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

My ultimate objective with exporting part of a design map and then re-importing it is to create continent-scale landmasses for near-orbit rendering (I use Terragen), and then creating a plausibly-similar detail map for ground level renders. Will the new format and features you're working toward support that use case?

Thanks!
Trips

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:16 am

Hi Trips,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. I've just uploaded a new build of L3DT Professional that should do what you want (v12.01 build 0, 13th of Jan 2012). It's on the Pro downloads page now.

When exporting the selected area of the design map, be sure to select the 'ZMAP' file format.

When re-importing the selected area, use the 'File->Import->New map layer' menu option. In the file open window select the ZMAP file, and in the import window click OK.

Please let me know if you find any problems with this new build.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports