L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

L3DT 2.4a rev 9

Please report software faults here.

Postby mauronen » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:03 am

Hi Aaron.
Just yesterday i've tried the "all singing/all dancing workflow" :) . The only modifies are xx/yy ratio (everywhere 4 or greater) and per-pixel-land-type checked, but when start Light Map calculation the messagge appears again.

Cheers.

Mauro.
mauronen
Doyen

Postby Ch3rokee » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:43 pm

As an update to the problem:

CMapGroup::HF_Inflate error:
- cannot inflate to a map size larger than 8192 x 8192.

CMapGroup::HF_HybridMethod error:
An operation has failed

I just discovered that it also happens in version 2.4 a, and it's also fixed by placing a dot of erosion for example, so it's not new.

It only seems to happen with the 6144 resolution and above.
Ch3rokee
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:57 pm

Wow, thanks for spotting that Ch3rokee. I just found the fault in the no-erosion version of the design/inflate algorithm, and I'll upload a fix shortly.

Cheers,
Aaron.

Edit: v2.4.1.13 (pro) is up on the server, and should fix this problem. It also has fixes for making blank design maps, and a better warning in the wizard UI to prevent users from applying bump-mapping to both the normals map and the light map (this should fix the problem found by Mauro).
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Ch3rokee » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:04 pm

So far, so good. The fixes seem to have worked perfectly.

But there is one more thing that I have been experiencing in the latest 2 beta builds, and it is a problem of performance, the "preparing buffer" operation takes much, much more than in the version 2.4a. and the loading times are also longer.

At first I thought that is was because my map was somewhat complex, but further investigation has proven it wrong.

To give you a better idea, you create a blank map, 6144x6144, HF resolution 10, do nothing in the design screen (add a dot of erosion in ver 2.4a) and generate the height field.
The version 2.4a "prepares the buffer" in an instant, but in v2.4.1.13 can take up to 40 seconds. (yes, a real height field takes minutes to show)

I don't know if I have missed something that justifies this long times, but I like shot times :lol:
I'm sorry, I just tell you problems :cry:
Ch3rokee
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:34 am

Hi Ch3rokee,

Hmmm...no change here (the heightfield takes a few seconds to render). This could be related to other processes running on your machine, as L3DT by default uses a below-normal thread priority and will therefore yield processor time to almost everything*.

Can you try something for me? When L3DT is running, open task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC), select the 'Processes' tab, find 'L3DT.exe' in the list and right-click on it, and select 'Set Priority->Normal'. Does this make a difference?

Cheers,
Aaron.

* I can't remember the reason for this, but I get the feeling it no longer applies. The next release will run at normal priority.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Ch3rokee » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:28 am

Well, it's not a problem of priority because L3DT.exe works in normal by default, and setting it to hight makes little difference.

I don't thing it's a problem of other processes running in my system, because I can run 2.4.1.13 and it takes 40 secs, close it and run 2.4a and takes an instant, close it and run 2.4.1.13 and it takes again 40 secs. (I just rebooted and it's the same)

If you need anything just tell it and I will try to help you in any way I can.
Ch3rokee
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:08 am

Hello,

For the sake of everyone else, Ch3rokee and I are continuing this thread over here.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Bug reports