L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Failed calculating very-large map in 15.11 dev 3

Please report software faults here.

Failed calculating very-large map in 15.11 dev 3

Postby wdhwg001 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:43 am

Memory: 24GB

L3DT got infinite cannot allocate memory error when I was trying to create design map and heightmap of a 32768*32768 map with 4096*4096 mosaic enabled.
It took me about 9 hours calculating the erosion before L3DT went into infinite error pop-up loop.
Sorry I cannot upload any logs because I can only use task manager to terminate the process.

Is it because L3DT is a 32-bit application? But since it is, why the erosion works fine in such large map?

Thanks.
wdhwg001

Re: Failed calculating very-large map in 15.11 dev 3

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:22 am

Hi wdhwg001,

I apologise for this error. This is caused by process address space fragmentation, and occurs when large tile sizes are selected for calculation. Please set the tile size to 512 pixels. If you require larger tile sizes for your game/application, please use the mosaic export option to select the desired tile size after the map has been generated.

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: For future reference, you can get the log file by selecting the 'All programs->Bundysoft->L3DT [version]->L3DT logs' shortcut in the Windows start menu. That link will open a directory in which you will find a file called 'log.txt'.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Failed calculating very-large map in 15.11 dev 3

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi wdhwg001,

I've uploaded v16.01 dev build 1 just now to the Pro downloads page (link in reg/sales e-mail.) This build includes a couple of changes that should prevent the memory problems you reported when using large tile sizes, including allocating tiles as non-contiguous sets of linescans, reducing heap fragmentation by optimising tile reuse, and reducing the thread count when memory / address space is running low. Please let me know if this version works better for you when using 4096px tiles (it seems to work OK for me).

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports