L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Calculate Water Table dialog

Please report software faults here.

Calculate Water Table dialog

Postby monks » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:46 pm

The Calculating water table progress dialog is disappearing for the duration of the operation. It briefly appears but promptly vanishes. The 'calculating mipmaps' appears eventually and then the WT map. I've noticed that if you minimise L3DT and then maximise again, the missing dialog reappears on top and stays there as normal.
I checked all of the other maps and they are fine.

update
I think the clue might be that the terrain was all (way) above 0 alt but the water table was set at 0m in the dialog (ie default). When the WT is calculated it is blank as you would expect. Once I alter the WT alt to something in the region of 1000m it operates fine so I'm guessing that the min alt in that terrain is somewhere between 0 and 1000m.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:08 am

Hi Monks,

I'll look into this, but I expect the progress dialog has gone behind the main window. A number of people had requested that I don't make L3DT and the progress dialog 'pop-to-top', so I had been tinkering with z-orders and activation states and too many SW/SWP flags. I'll just return the dialog to topmost always.

By the way, the calculation parameters you enter have no impact on the progress dialog, and, if I may be pendantic for a moment, there is no altitude setting for the water table (there is a max depth, and it workes with terrain at any altitude.) Are you referring to the water plane level on the water flooding wizard? (a different beastie to the water table.)

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:02 am

Ah yes, I've just learned something about Windows. I tried minimising the app window thinking that the wizard dialog would show up behind it but the minimise must also minimise that dialog too It being a modal dialog (?) I thought it would still be there. I just tried moving the app window and it is indeed behind it.
Yes I meant the water plane level. :)

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:26 am

Hi Monks,

Yup, if you minimise a window you minimise all its child windows, and the progress dialog is a child window of the main window. It's actually modeless (non-modal), but that doesn't change this particular behaviour...although it's usually rather difficult to minimise a parent window if the child is modal.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports