L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Not bug, but not good situation

Please report software faults here.

Not bug, but not good situation

Postby Leon PRO » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:02 pm

Good day!

Today i was try export+resize+split_to_mosaic action with HF map. Resizing scale was 4092*4092 -> 65536*65536pix, it was 256*256 mosaics on 256*256pix per every mosaic.'

After starting i wait 2or 3 hours and... system was alert "No space on Disk C:" I was in shock, but i was CAN`t stop calculating rpocess, no "cancel" button :) , and I was wait 0,5 hours for end. <- this is bad situatuon.
After finish calculating i has only 215*225 mosaic HFF maps. I know - it my fault, but i wasn`t know, what all HFF has 14+ Gb disk size !!! May be will good enable little disk-cost size statistic in Export dialog ? Example "Export map(s) will cost XXXXX Mb disk space".

Best regards, LP.
-= I am from Russia, sorry for bad English =-
Leon PRO
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:34 pm

Hi Leon,

Wow, that's really close to being a bug, isn't it?

To fix this:

1) Plugins will have to estimate their file sizes. This is OK for nice formats like HFF/RAW/BMP, etc, but not for compressed formats such as JPEG/PNG, which can't do an estimate without having the map ready, and in this case, it wouldn't be. Alternatively, I can show the total byte allocation, which would normally be higher than the size on disk (e.g. for a heightfield saved as 16-bit HFF, the value would be twice the on-disk size), but it's probably a useful ballpark figure, and it's one I can easily calculate in the UI for all map types. Okay, I've put that on the to-do list.

2) A cancel button in the load/save progress dialogs. This requires that the load/save operations be threaded, and currently they're not. I can probably do this safely (now), so I'll put it on the to-do list.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports