L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

cannot create edit record (HF)

Please report software faults here.

cannot create edit record (HF)

Postby cring0 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:08 pm

L3DT Pro 16.05 dev build 5 (x64)
Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

When editing heightfield in Sapphire an event log will randomly pop up with the following text:
CL3DTio_BackupApp::InitEditRecord error:
- edit record is already initialised
- requested record 'Edit HF', current record 'Edit HF'
zbackup_EditRecord_Init error:
- call to 'L3DTio_Backup.EditRecord.Init' failed
CSapphireWnd::OnLButtonDown error:
- cannot create edit record (HF)

This has been happening to me for a while through different versions of L3DT. With the previous version, I was able to simply hide the event log window and continue working without anything noticeable happening. With 16.05 build 5 I can't continue working after it pops up. Sapphire is still running, but when I try to edit nothing happens. I have to close L3DT and start it back up again.

I've tried figuring out what causes it and cannot reproduce the error. It seems to just happen randomly. Sometimes I can go through a whole night without it happening, and other times it will repeatedly happen.

Could this possibly be something on my end or something I'm failing to understand?
cring0

Re: cannot create edit record (HF)

Postby Aaron » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi Cring0,

I apologise for this fault, and thank you for the bug report (and especially for the log file). I think I can see what's going wrong here; I'll post back here when I have a fix available.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:56 am

Hi Cring0,

This problem should now be fixed in L3DT Pro 16.06 build 1, which is on the Pro downloads page now (please see sales/reg receipt e-mail for link). Please let me know if this problem persists, or if you find any other issues. Thanks again for the bug report.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby cring0 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:04 am

So I used that build for quite a few hours tonight before I got the same error. I'll send the log again. I'm clueless as to what any of this means and I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with my system, OS, memory, etc. I have a suspicion that I could have some bad memory because I've had some other weird things happen, so in the meantime I'm going to do some memtests and maybe do a clean install of Windows 10.

Thanks for the quick reply!
cring0

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi Cring0,

Thanks again for the log. Very interesting, somewhat confusing. I have tried again (L3DT Pro 16.06 build 2, on downloads page now). This version should fix the problem, but may still show an error message which will hopefully point to the code / condition that gave rise to the error.

As for what the error actually means: This all starts with the system that handles 'undo'. When you edit an area in Sapphire, it stores a backup of the area under the brush before applying any changes, so that you can undo afterwards if you need to. The backup is stored in a structure called the 'edit record', which is initialised when you press down the left mouse button, and finalised when you release the left mouse button. The problem you found occurs when the left mouse button is pressed down, but the edit record is already initialised; i.e. it was not finalised after the end of the last edit. With the previous build I had guessed that Sapphire missed the 'left button up' message from Windows, but the log showed that probably wasn't the case. This new build fixes a few other possible cases where Sapphire might have forgotten it had the edit record open, and should automatically close the edit record before it becomes a problem. It also writes more info to the logfile, which should help track down any problems that might remain.

My feeling at the moment is that this is a problem with Sapphire, not with your system. A hardware fault is, to my thinking, unlikely to repeatedly target exactly the same segment of code, and is much more likely to manifest in the kernel, rather in application code. I'm pretty sure I'm on the hook for this one.

Anyway, please let me know how the new build goes.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby cring0 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Ok, different message this time:

Code: Select all
CSapphireWnd::SetMouseMode error:
 - HF edit record is still open when changing mouse mode

Thanks for explaining this, makes a lot more sense now.
cring0

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi Cring0,

Okay, should be all fixed in v16.07 build 1, on the Pro downloads page now. Thanks for all the help in debugging this fault, and please let me know if and problems persist.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby cring0 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Seems to be running good now. Thanks Aaron, amazing support!
cring0

Return to Bug reports