L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Access violation in Viewer

Please report software faults here.

Access violation in Viewer

Postby Grando » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:43 am

Hello everyone - my first post :)

I produced a project with the Pro Evaluation version and saved it to disk, ran the Viewer and the image came up fine (lovely in fact).

But I keep getting the following error

"Access violation at address 6968AEF9 in module nvoglnt.dll. Read of address 00009070"

It is a lovely landscape and I am well pleased with the software.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 2Mb Ram, Nvidia 7Geforce 7900GS.

Anyone else get this, or is it something to do with my setup?
Grando

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:57 am

Hi Grando,

Do you get the error after a certain amount of time, or when moving around, or when doing anything in particular? Could it be this bug?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Grando » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:51 pm

Sorry Aaron. I had done a search and saw that bug report, but didn't think it applied. I think it does. I have a two screen setup, which I rarely use, and the other screen was switched off.

Sometimes my cursor dissapears off the left side of my screen and is on the phantom screen which isn't switched on! I changed my setup back to one monitor and it worked first time.

I only moved the mouse slightly to get the error, millimetres, but it was probably on the other screen. This did not happen with a project that I had saved using the SE edition though. The cursor position must be different on startup?

If all I have to do is change my setup now and again, I am more than happy. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I look forward to working with L3DT

Jimmy
Grando

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:19 am

Hi Grando,

Thanks for the info. This sounds like a different bug. The one to which I linked is triggered by moving the camera position with the keyboard, but wasn't affected by the mouse. The version of L3DTVi2 is the same in Pro and SE, so I can't say why the behaviour would be different.

Fortunately we won't have to deal with L3DTVi2 for very much longer. I'm making progress on my new rendering plugin, and I within the next few months I expect it will be ready to partially or totally replace L3DTVi2. Development is still a bit slow as I am learning OpenGL along the way, but the results are getting closer to what I want. I'll release it for testing once I have viewport culling and basic level-of-detail going (i.e. better performance).

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Grando » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:28 am

Hello Aaron

I moved the camera off the map and got another error (the one you know about), and it is different to the one I was getting.

I downloaded VTP, and it looks very interesting. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of free data for the UK, and some of it can be had for a mere £1,500 per year (a bargain I'm sure!)

Good luck on the rendering plugin, and if you want any testing done, just ask.

Jimmy
Grando

Postby Aaron » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:47 pm

Hi Grando,

I'll upload the new plugin once I've finished debugging the ROAM tessellation algorithm. Up until yesterday I was using a simplistic view dependent mipmapping level-of-detail algorithm to reduce the triangle count during rendering, but as you may or may not be able to see in the screenshots I recently uploaded to the users' gallery, cracks appear at the edges between tiles rendered at different LODs. ROAM fixes those problems (it's what L3DTVi2 uses), but it's also significantly more complex than my previous method, and may well need a lot of tweaking to get right. Anyhoo, I'm hopefully only a few days away from having a working, crack-free solution, and I'll upload the rendering plugin* for anyone/everyone to test when that happens.

Cheers,
Aaron.

* Which now has a name; "sapphire", following my new mineral-inspired naming convention.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:33 pm

I saw that shot, was real nice Boss, hay so should I wait a few days before uploading any new versions of L3DT??????? I can hold with the version I have atm, unless a new cool feature and new plugins? have to check that one, been hella busy lately.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:38 am

Hi DT,

DeathTwister wrote:Hay so should I wait a few days before uploading any new versions of L3DT??????? I can hold with the version I have atm, unless a new cool feature and new plugins? have to check that one, been hella busy lately.

If the renderer plugin is all you're after, I'd recommend you hold off until the beta-release of the plugin is announced. If I'm lucky this will be sometime this weekend, but if not then it will probably have to wait until the following weekend. I'm at a conference from Tues->Fri, so I'm not going to be doing any programming in that time.

The features in the current dev build that you've probably not yet seen/used include design map resizing, new filter-based alpha map generator, heightfield smoothing, World Machine Pro compatability, and light map sequencing (plus a bucketload of bugfixes). If these interest you, then you may as well download the dev build now. The plugin will work with the current dev build, so you won't need to update again to use it.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:59 pm

WOO HOO yaya, I go get the newest build, thanks Boss, have a good week at your conference brother, get loaded, party harty and come back ready to work for us /wry grins.......
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Bug reports