L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Cannot change to a different climate

Please report software faults here.

Cannot change to a different climate

Postby piratelord » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:13 pm

I needed to make a change to an existing climate I've already worked on, so I took a copy and made the changes.
I now find I cannot generate a different climate then the one I copied.
I've tried regenerating the AM to desert, artic, my copied one, and they always come out using the climate I copied.

This is using just the heightfield, not the DM, since using the DM really slows down the attribute map process.

How can I fix this? Thanks!

Currently using: Version: Pro 2.5 build 9 - Build date: 09-Feb-07
piratelord
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:51 pm

Hi Piratelord,

This is where you pick your climate from the attributes map wizard, right? I'll have a go at this right now.

since using the DM really slows down the attribute map process

Hmm...so it does. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll see if I can fix that for the next release.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby piratelord » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:11 pm

I've tried regenerating from the wizard and also the "go" option in the attributes map.

Only thing I've not tried is reimporting the heightmap and regenerating the water map.

Oh, if you can fix that DM issue, that would be amazing. I have a lot of tiles with multiple climates, and currently it's a lot quicker to generate the map in one climate, save the final texture, generate again in a different climate, and then use photoshop to merge them together correctly.
piratelord
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:27 am

Hi Piratelord,

I've fixed both problems, but I'm in the middle of some other debugging so I'll upload in a few days. Sorry for the delay.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:42 am

Fix uploaded! (v2.5 RC3.1)
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby piratelord » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:54 pm

Wow Aaron, amazing speed.

Must be because I sent you some money recently :P

So, if the DM is used only to specifiy different climates, it'll process at the same speed as not using the DM?
piratelord
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:06 am

Hi Piratelord,

piratelord wrote:So, if the DM is used only to specifiy different climates, it'll process at the same speed as not using the DM?

Yes. Before I had made a mistake that made L3DT calculate the land type 9 times rather than once when using the DM. When you have a design map pixel with 8 neighbours that all had different climates, you do need to calculate 9 scores. However, if neighbours have duplicate climates, you don't need to re-calculate for each dupe. I had actually written the code to skip dupes, but some time in the last year I had to hack into that routine to fix another problem, and in doing so I guess I messed up the logic. The code now has a lengthy warning comment in case I have to go back there.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports